smelt coolant for 10min then car died and wont hold idle

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
98 manual, leather sunroof leggy daily. 700hp 94 RZ Supra weekender
Begining to think that buying my legnum was a bad idea. Was driving on the highway and started smelling coolant had to wait for the turn off which was ten min. Then the car died wont hold idle and found the passenger footwell soak with coolant. Where is the god dam heater pipes. I am worried the coolant has shagged the electrical gear in the dash.

Anyway. Any help would be mad as cheers boys.

Brett Amos

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
check your engine oil filler cap to see if the oil looks like chocolate..

also check the radiator if there's still fluid in there..

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
Replaced coolant last weekend and engine oil two weeks ago.

G

Unregistered
If your heater core or related hoses are leaking then your newly replaced coolant is now all over your carpet, and your engine won't be very happy without coolant as you have found out.

Also, you will need to remove your carpet ASAP, wash it with fresh water and leave to thoroughly dry before refitting or it's going to get pretty stinky.

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
wont be able to do that until tomorrow as i live out of town and i had to get the car towed to a mates. :( also got codes 22 and 23 for the engine amd they are crank agle sensor and sodc sensor pretty sure. but i am hoping that its only because of the coolant it just blew the hose and had a good look and there is coolant everywhere dam it. also this has been the straw that broke the camels back the misses has blow the top with having a supra in the shed and this car one has to go, so the leggy is goin, going to fix these problems as well as replace a few sensors and bov, two new tires. will be putting up a for sale thread 5500 dollars for the leggy when its running again, its sad but happy wife happy life can't have two jap cars lol.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
wont be able to do that until tomorrow as i live out of town and i had to get the car towed to a mates. :( also got codes 22 and 23 for the engine amd they are crank agle sensor and sodc sensor pretty sure. but i am hoping that its only because of the coolant it just blew the hose and had a good look and there is coolant everywhere dam it. also this has been the straw that broke the camels back the misses has blow the top with having a supra in the shed and this car one has to go, so the leggy is goin, going to fix these problems as well as replace a few sensors and bov, two new tires. will be putting up a for sale thread 5500 dollars for the leggy when its running again, its sad but happy wife happy life can't have two jap cars lol.
Be careful. you may have more damage than you think. I had something similar happen to mine- was the heater core (4) in the post above. Its actually failed twice in mine.

Does the car run at all? you could be lucky and it's wet the ECU connector, it is very intolerant of water there- but if you've run the engine out of coolant its more likely you've cooked it, which was my dilema last year.
You can get the cores from Mitsu, its a Magna core, late 90's. someone on here might have fast and get the part number for you.

Good luck

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Mitsubishi are known for shit heater cores, it sounds like yours has just let go.

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
no as soon as the heater core let go and the car died straight after. filled it will coolant and check started it today and it started rough the first time so left the ecu for longer to make sure it was completly dried and started it again and it started good. just going to block the heater core off for now and drive the car home as it is at a mates house and i live out side of town. the car was owned by Will in hope island, car seemed to be looked after but yeah why do you ask.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Yeah that car wasnt in the best condition at the tune date when Will had it... Thats real bad luck mate hope things turn to the better sooner rather then later

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
yeah i am starting to gather that. if i still have it in jan its getting it 200k service done, got new leads and plugs just done got new tps sensor, o2 sensor and metal evo 8 bov coming anbd might wack a set of christian builds in jan. but looks like it has to go, the misso has put the foot downb doesn't like having a worked supra in the shed and her car and the leggy as mine and i want to work on the leggy to restore it. oh well will get it to a decent level before i sell in dec this year.

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
well some good news pulled the two lines for the heater core off the fire wall and connected them as i didn't want to pull the aircon apart for summer. cleaned all the ecu up and sprayed contact cleaner on the contacks filled her with coolan and started her up. all is good touch wood. going to wait untill i get all the parts and replace the heater core and pipes. but the car is still for sale will put up a for sale thread soon. cheers for your help.

Regards Brett Amos

Top Bottom