frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I've got a really annoying noise.... its like a click click click as im going straight like as if theres a rock in the tire... but it happens same volume at any speed, unless i take a corner at speed going left, at which its more of a click click, click click, click click and slightly louder. Turning right the noise seems to be less, if there at all..

On jacking the car up, turning the wheel as fast as i can (both facing straight AND left) i couldnt find anything touching, and when spinning the wheel no sound is made.

Took it to bob jane, they pulled the wheel off, put it back on, and the sound was gone for almost a week... but now its back (gradually built back up)

Any idea what it could be? has me stumped.. Nothing was touching the wheel, and my CV's were replaced with reconditioned units a few weeks back (rebuilt with 3yr warranty...)

G

Unregistered
wheel bearing or CV,

which cv's did they rebuild?
inner or outer font or rear? (theres 8 in total)

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
both inner and outer fronts either side have been rebuilt, and the wheel bearings ... ive tried a real shake on the wheel with no movement, and the front right wheel bearing has already gone on me once before n been replaced, so im ruling that one out... it really sounds like something is flicking a spoke on the wheel but its not :p and does it at ANY speed, i can do it driving into my garage... its JUST as a certain point on the tire touches the road. Had the tires checked already.... they seem to be fine.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
could be the rear CV's

did it start happening after you had your AYC replaced to S-AYC?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
its the front right thats making the clicking... i stick my head out the window and can directly identify where its comming from :D

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
hhhmm funny..

does it do it when you get into bumps? have you tried driving on a very flat surface and listen for the clicking?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
does it in my garage even christian.. at slow speed... i can back up and go forward RIGHT on the point it clicks... mainly seems to do it going forward

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Check your brake disc surfaces.... Its about the only other thing that spins synchronously with the tyre (As you have ruled out everything else)! Lol

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
the disk makes no sound when the car is jacked up and i spin the wheel though - though it does feel like it grabs at a point (ever so slightly) could it be this maybe... disk doesnt feel out of shape at all.. and they are REALLY expensive rotors :D

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
slotted.. whats dimpled? lol

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
dimpled are what you find in the RDA Slotted and Dimpled.. hence the name :)

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
well just slotted then..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Josh, like what I said to you on the phone, go back to the workshop and tell them that its got this clicking sound.. since you told me that its got 3 years warranty on it..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I would be guessing that the edge of your pad is JUST nicking one of the slots. Does it do it when you brake?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
yes, does it while i break... one of the first things i tried :D
Im almost 100% its not CV's, but i could just be in denial... ill take it to a place tomorrow for a listen but REALLY dont want it to be CV's as they are under warranty, but the labour to fit and remove is not covered - as its a seperate workshop to do that...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
My first guess would be your rotors - mine freaked me out when I stuck them on as it made the car sound like a hoard of cicada's. You may have something ever so slightly out of alignment that's causing it to click at a particular point. Slotted rotors that 'tick' DO sound exactly the same under braking except of course the rotor is slowing down with the wheel.

If you can get it to do it at an exact point that easily, have you thought about taking it over a pit and getting someone to push the car back and forth while you stand under it? Preferably with a friend who knows cars to get a second opinion. That way you should be able to pinpoint it...

Oh, one other suggestion - if you've upgraded your rotors you should still have your OEM ones, right? Might be worth swapping that over on the wheel you think it is just to rule it out - it should only take you 20 mins.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
SA just gave me a thought..

Josh do you remember when your right hand side wheel bearing was so worn that it wiggles when you jack up the tire..

and I remember that APC said the bolts/screws on the hats thats holding on to your rotor became loose because of the wheel hub.. could it be possible that either 1 or 2 of those screws have gone loose again?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
ive JUST had all the bolts on the rotor retightened and redone a few weeks back. Also, went to the CV place today he said definately not CV's .. its with wheels speed, and its one particular point.. he said he doesnt think it would be the rotor either. Bob jane's boss guy (went there later to pay some $$) told me it could be a clip on the CV come loose and clicking on something?

Not sure - taking it back to him tomorrow when hes got more time..

Top Bottom