Clutch action / wear symptoms.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
My brother thinks my clutch engages far to close to the floor in my Leg.

I have never noticed but it did get me thinking, as the clutch wears, should it start engaging closer or further from the floor? Further is my guess.

Also is where it engages adjustable?

Regarding wear, does shudder when cold indicator wear? I get it occasionally when I take off on too low revs, and it doesn't feel like almost engine stall.

Postulate!

G

Unregistered
depends on what type of clutch, shudder cant be helped on some.

on a standard clutch shudder will be caused by poor break in,
glazed/heat damaged flywheel and cooked clutch material,
also broken/weak spring damper on the disk

if its just worn out, it will just slip.

as it wares pedal it will get further from the floor,
but not by much at all there would only be very few millimeters in it,

and you can adjust the engagement point on the pedal adjustment so the point of engagement vs ware is pretty irrelevant

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
lol +reps for that one Derek!

Slip, slip and more slip when they're dying...

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
You'll know it when it starts to slip as your revs will increase and the car wont move. A good test is to put the car into 3rd gear and try to drive off. It should stall.

G

Unregistered
i can drive off in 3rd??? (not the easiest but i can just do it lol)

better to load test it,

find a nice steep-ish hill drive up it, short shift into to high a gear and accelerate

it will either not like it and accelerate slowly (all good), or the revs will rise with no little or no acceleration (on its way out)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
My clutch has shuddered occasionally since the day i got it but its still going strong, id be more worried about slippage

lol last kegs

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I haven't noticed any slippage. All good. Cheers lads. Still the stock clutch afaik.

G

Unregistered
When you can't get up the driveway anymore and you are forced to park on the street then it's time to start thinking about a new clutch. Ah.. fond memories. :)

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
My clutch since ive owned it has released and grabbed way way from the floor which made me to think it was on its way out, it started slipping so i installed a HDB clutch and it still releases and engages way way away from the floor so i wouldnt use this as an indicator that trhe clutch is on its way out, neither would i use shudder as my Exceedy shudders if you ride it or take off with a heap of revs but the clutch isnt all the way out, best way to tell is to load her up around a corner in a high gear and if it free revs its buggered.....

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
My clutch release is high..... Doesn't slip though. Engages hard when dumped lol (Thats why I have a shudder haha)

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
mine engages a long way from the floor too. imo its better than way down at the floor, makes driving easier. i once drove an mr2 gt which had a clutch engaging pretty much on the floor and it was a huge pita

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Yeah mines not far from the floor and id much prefer it was higher.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
If its engaging right near the floor, that tells me you've got a hydraulics issue. Either the master or slave cylinder are shot (or possibly both). Its usually the slave & its usually a worn bore. Ie when you are pushing the pedal in, the plunger in the master cylinder is depressed, plushing fluid from the resevior in the master, down the line to the slave, which inturn pushes out the slave arm. When the slave bore is worn & the seal not so good, some of the fluid pressure bypasses the seal & heads backup the line - instead of forcing out the clutch arm.

You can have kits put through slave & masters, usually consiting of a larger seal & a hone of the bore, but it they never work as well as new items.

Top Bottom