Clutch Workshops - WA

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Hey folks,

The old clutch is on the way out especially in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Anyone had any good experiences with clutch workshops around Perth?

so far two quotes from one in Belmont at $110 per hour and another $88 per hour from ossy park. Also a decent price of $400 for a rebuilt disc and pressure plate. Both shops quoted work similar to changing an Evo's clutch which is 10hours, which i think is about right.

ps: dropped by at Elfe automotive over in Bayswater today...his unit 2 workshop has been vacant for 1 month now according to a neighbor. Tried calling his landline too without much luck (disconnected).

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
allstar garage changed my clutch for $770 when i provided another. highly recommend you read the Clutch recommendations thread first though

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
yep been through the clutch recommendations and another clutch mega thread, looks like I'm leaning towards machining the flywheel with either a rebuilt or a 7420HD exedy at the moment.
hope all is smooth with the custom clutch now Dan.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
yeh all is good, the main thing i was refering to in the clutch recommendation thread is the issues with the evo clutch that you mentioned. but all star have done a few now and yeh, original quote was $770 incl. flywheel machining so pretty good

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
$770 is decent indeed especially with machining the fly wheel. did they tell you the hours taken for the work done?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
haha, nope. They did say it was a bitch though with the evo clutch problems

G

Unregistered
Autoworkshop in Welshpool gets my vote, they know the Evo's very well so they will more than familiar with the VR4's, not too sure on labour charges though.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
yep been through the clutch recommendations and another clutch mega thread, looks like I'm leaning towards machining the flywheel with either a rebuilt or a 7420HD exedy at the moment.
hope all is smooth with the custom clutch now Dan.

There's an Exedy guy on here currently recommending against the 7420HD in favor of the MBK-7223HD, be careful and do your research.

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Dan,
yeah i suspect they would need 10hours at least on our cars.

Stephen,
thanks mate, i'll give them a call and see what they quote.

Chris,
thanks for that,just realise i've been chasing the evo8+ mbk-7420HD, i was meaning to get the mbk-7223HD (heavy duty magna kit) on advise from carlo (ralliart81), damn almost bought the wrong one! very confusing with so many threads on clutches but its been a wealth of info from both ozvr4 and clubvr4.
btw saw your black magna around rivervale once, what of the beast now :) ?

EDIT: Heres what http://exedy.com.au has to say, Carlos right on the money.

Series
Cylinders
Capacity
Engine
Fuel
Fuel system
Valves
Cam
Date start
Date finish
Clear selection VR-4 V6 2.5 6A13T Twin Turbo Petrol EFI 24 DOHC 1996 2003 SELECTED
Product Category Product Description Part number OEM Replacement MBK-7223 Sports Tuff Heavy Duty Kit MBK-7223HD Heavy Duty Button Kit MBK-7223HDB Heavy Duty Cushion Button Kit MBK-7223HDCB EXEDY Racing Clutch Stage 1 Sports Organic Kit
Sports Ceramic Cushion Button Kit
Sports Ceramic Kit
Stage 2 Race Ceramic Kit
Hyper Metal Series Hyper Single
Hyper Multi Twin
Triple
Hyper Compe R
Hyper Compe D
Hyper Carbon Series Carbon-R Single
Twin
Triple
Carbon-D Single
Twin
Racing Flywheel

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Check out the act HD kit for evos, they got the highest rating of all HD street clutches on the American evo forums..

I got one from the USA for like $800 delivered on eBay motors and it is very strong, never slips, and is easy to drive. Bolted straight in with a evo flywheel ($20 from a evo Oz forum member) and since then I have been very happy with it.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
^^ I had a sit in madhav's car and i can say that the act had a lighter pedal than the evo sports organics. however, the 7223hd in mine has a lighter pedal still and fveels very stock, but probably not as strong

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Only advice i can give is dont buy an evo sports organic. They cause nothing but problems.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
btw saw your black magna around rivervale once, what of the beast now :) ?

It's gone to the big car graveyard in the sky unfortunately.
All good though as I've now ugpraded to a VR-4 ;)

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Chris, yikes...written off heaven? but theres life after Magna... the VR4! har har (y) (no punt intended, had a TJ magna too at one stage)

update on clutch workshop hunt:
Right been quoted $600 for labour to get the clutch in and another $600 for timing belt 100,000km work, again just labour.
extra for machining, fluids (gearbox,diffs)

Sounds reasonable?

the guy is knowledgeable since he identified spot on the seals that needs changing with the clutch job.

-crank rear main seal
-cam seal x4
-crank front seal

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Chris, yikes...written off heaven? but theres life after Magna... the VR4! har har (y) (no punt intended, had a TJ magna too at one stage)

Yeah written off / parting out heaven.
Life after the Magna will be good, as soon as i get the car back from the workshop!

Getting my VR4 clutch etc done at Cypher, they are SOR in O'Connor and did my previous Magna Ralliart clutch which was about $1200 all up from memory (parts+labour).

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Hey folks,

The old clutch is on the way out especially in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Anyone had any good experiences with clutch workshops around Perth?

so far two quotes from one in Belmont at $110 per hour and another $88 per hour from ossy park. Also a decent price of $400 for a rebuilt disc and pressure plate. Both shops quoted work similar to changing an Evo's clutch which is 10hours, which i think is about right.

ps: dropped by at Elfe automotive over in Bayswater today...his unit 2 workshop has been vacant for 1 month now according to a neighbor. Tried calling his landline too without much luck (disconnected).

You wont get in touch with elfi no more he's closed shop and working from home.....(when he is home lol)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I'm having problems getting hold of him too, he is supposedly woking on my car right now?

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Have you tried Tim SLacko's West Racing in Osborne Park? (O'Malley street opposite Westpoint Star). He does my general servicing and supplied and fitted an Ace heavy duty clutch to my mate's R32 GTS-T for a very decent price.

Top Bottom