Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Really fast Magna wagon thingy
How do the Guys with the XYZs find them and which version did you get?
i've been offered the Super Sports pretty cheep by the work shop i go to.

G

Unregistered
May b a stupid question, but, can you put coilovers on the front but not bak? Is that pointless??

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
why would u wanna do that??? the front would be nice and hard and responcive the back would be soft n loose

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Yep, doesn't make sense to me either, just buy the whole set, it will be better in the long run :p

G

Unregistered
Yeh, I'm on a pretty tight budget.. My front RHS shock is leaking.. So I need it replaced.. Figured "when in rome"

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
How tight? Cause u can get bc adjustables br seriers on eBay for $1299 got them in my car and i love them Im on a tight budget too lol it sucks

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
theres nothing stopping u, but its pretty pointless. as the advantage coilovers give wont be noticed or adjusted until u get the back sorted.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
if your on a tight budget, buy two second hand shocks from here, then save up and buy a full set of coils

do it once. do it right

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Or at least "borrow" some. Pretty much everyone here with coilovers have old shocks laying round ;)

G

Unregistered
yeh, its not me who worrys about the money, if it was my choice id spend all my money on my car... its the missus.. Told her when i baught the import, itl just be stereo, wheels and maintanence... boy am i an idiot.. i want to spend more!!!!!!!

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Yeah just wheels, and then just that new cat back cause its cheap and then oh i got this boost controler for a good price off ebay, but now i have to get a new intercooler so the motor can handle the higher boost...........
gee would you look at that i modifyed the crap out of my car. lol

DO IT!!!!!!

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
why would u wanna do that??? the front would be nice and hard and responcive the back would be soft n loose

So you're saying that height adjustable suspension makes cars more responsive?

Has anyone tried fitting EVO coilovers in the front of their cars before??

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Evo coilover will NOT fit, most will have adjustable camber tops, which you could swap for your standard pillow mount tops pretty easily.
But then the bottom mounts are also completly different and totaly not worth the effort.

I could have had some free brand new evo 5 coilovers but it was not worth the work to make them fit.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
And our suspension is much more sophisticated than some silly 4 cylinder lancer. We have a full multi link setup at both ends.

As far as responsiveness goes, Coilovers will have stiffer springs which will of course make the front end more responsive and tauter compared to the rear.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Now a post about me for a change. :)

After a track day at the Taupo track my rear shocks have become quite a bit softer. I think I may have overheated the oil or something? Anyway it is quite noticable while driving and I don't see a point in replacing them. Budget is not a problem, I want to do it once and do it right. I currently have Cusco 22mm and 24mm Anti Roll bars on it with a set of 24mm and 27mm sitting on the floor from the group buy. My current springs are Tanabe Sustec lowering springs with stock shocks.

I'm currently considering:

A cheap not-really-a-brand such as BC, XYZ or G4 coilovers NZ$1200-1400 or so
Tein GT Wagon NZ$1800
Cusco Zero 2 NZ$2800

I want something in the range of 8-12kg springs at the front and 5-9kg springs at the rear. Comfort is NOT important at all. What is important is acheiving a car that can go faster around the corners while being stable and predictable. Coupled with my Brembo's and Carbotech pads, S-AYC, 255/40/17 Toyo R1R's, rear strut brace, and a fairly low 1600kg curb weight (with me and 45 litres of fuel in it) I reckon I'll have one of the faster cornering station wagons out there ;)

I quite like the Cusco's because I'm a brand whore and I like how they only have 5 adjustable steps in shock absorber settings. This appeals to me a bit because I don't like the idea of having 32 settings and getting lost somewhere in the middle where it is hard to tell the difference between a huge number of steps.

Thoughts?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
im gonna vote Ksports. any spring rate you want and 36 way adjustable, same price as the BC's

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
FYI: the XYZ's are made in the same south east Asian factory as most HKS suspension components, also i know a few people with them in their evos and they seem to be quite good.

I'm currently waiting on a set of tomei coilovers to arrive, which i got cheap, otherwise i probably would have gotten the Ksports

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
If its gona be for track use, dont cheap out with 'street-copied' brands like BC and G4. Ideally the cusco's are the best, made for track use and are a genuine track coilover. But you pay for that. For a track car, its worth spending the bit extra.

Top Bottom