Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
theres nothing professional about fitting or adjusting them. if u can turn a knob and a spanner, and can read a measuring tape, ur as good as anyone.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
if you're serious you can have the car cornerweighted and correctly balanced. Nothing wrong with fitting them yourself though. You'd do it exactly the same as any other professional would.

As far as adjustment levels go 35-way, 30-way, 12-way even, doesn't matter. Unless you're driving a purpose built race car and require microns of adjustment, it doesn't really matter how many dampening levels they have. The XYZ's have 30-way adjustment but I've set mine and left it, wouldn't be able to tell if someone was to come along and add a couple of clicks. I don't know the specifics of how Lee(butts)'s were setup but I think if you talk to him you'll find the same.

Hotwire, you're dead right. All the budget range are made in Taiwan and the like (most in the same factory).

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i could defiantly notice the difference if i went up or down in 5 click increments with the 32-step isc dampening.

like what Trav said, 12,24,48, etc steps doesnt make any difference. it doesnt mean ur getting extra steps or an potentially softer or harder options. but the level of adjustment varies. ive seen cusco's with only 5 steps. having larger increments probably means a lot more to most people.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Indeed, if the 5 step Cusco ones go 0,20,40,60,80,100 (on an imaginary scale) then they will be better for most people than a set that goes from 40,41...74,75 in 35 steps.

On the other hand the 35 step ones might go from 0 to 140 and if that was the case they would be better than the 5 step Cuscos. The fact of the matter is that none of us really know!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
My TEIN SuperWagons have 25 or 30 steps I think. I definitely noticed the difference between softest and halfway. Not sure if I could really tell the difference from halfway when I wound them to three-quarters.

Or maybe I had them at hardest first. I can't remember - I just decided the ride and handling were fine and left them alone lol

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
I decided on BC myself after much reading. Installing them this afternoon, but it will be a little while until a drive report as my alternator has just gone bung.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Haha sounds like I'm not gonna be able to cop out on this one and just do it myself. To be frank considering they are both at the bottom end of the price spectrum I can't see the value in an extra $200 spent unless the support levels we're comparing are practically zero versus complete cover with the ISC's.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I decided on BC myself after much reading. Installing them this afternoon, but it will be a little while until a drive report as my alternator has just gone bung.

Ben let us know what the BC's are like after you install them.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
I went the TEIN Super Flex wagons myself. I suppose in the end you get what you pay for. And I like a nice, hard, stiff, low ride.

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
Price is right, but by the time you add in shipping you could probably go with XYZ or BC. Also they are not dampner adjustable, apparently you have to go up to the GT Series which they don't sell

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Nope, Lee and I have the only sets in the country for now.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Just picked myself up some Tein Super Wagon coils from RHDJapan (Very helpful guys). Which appear the be on a round the world holiday thanks to FedEX. Hopefully have them by Friday! woot!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I know this sounds like a stupid question but is a 10/8 spring rate the same for all the different brands of coilovers? Reason I'm asking, all the different brands have different recommend spring rates for the same car.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yup the numbering should be techincally all the same. in its full version its eg: 10kg/mm which if can remember proper, it takes 10kg or 98.1Newtons to compress the spring 1mm

but who knows how good the companies test equipment is

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Why do you think they all have different recommendations for the same car? Just different setups?

Top Bottom