Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Yeah thats a better pic.... Looks the goods in that one :)

And you know why you don't get hassled? Because your car is white haha

I have a blue one and a white one. Blue one has no mods and I get hassled. White one has mods and I never get hassled. Go figure haha

Bad-Karma

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
Fitted my Tein Basic Wagons today. Once I have a bit more of a drive, i'll give more feed back.

So far they are really good. Slightly firmer than stock suspension but stiffer, thus reducing body roll.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Reviving an old thread but i need some advice.

My car is just running factory shocks but aftermarket springs and i want to upgrade to coil overs.

So what should you look for in a set of coil overs?

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

ISC: Great coil overs, great quality and reasonable price

BC: Bad coil overs

Tien: Good coil overs but expensive

and i haven't really heard much about any others. The ISC ones seem the go from what Ive read here and elsewhere.

And can someone explain to me about the pillow tops and camber adjustment, form the way the ISC ones sound it seems that they have the pillow tops on all four of them so does that make them camber adjustable on all four?

I have a rough idea about camber and toe but what else would need to be considered when fitting some and I'm not 100% on spring rates and the like.

Thanks in advance guys.

G

Unregistered
BC have been getting good reviews. Tanabe are very good as well. I had diayama's and they were the worst purchase I made for my VR4. basic teins next which were fine and now swapped to HA's but haven't been able to try them as a pothole killed a wheel and tyre last Friday.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Was going to say BC gets good reviews both here and evolution oz.... look for a writeup by Eddyvr4 for a comprehensive coverage of them

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
ISC, BC and the cheaper end of the TEIN range are about on par in terms of quality.

i like ISC because they are local and can get replacements easily and no hiden surprises with the warrantee. ryan is a honest guy and will help u out if u got issues.

pillowball upper mounts allow camber adjustment, nearly always only on the front. however this isnt applicable with our cars and the double wishbone suspension.

regarding spring rate.. what will the car be used for? street only, lots of track, or somewhere in the middle. however i have found the street spec spring rates compromise very little on outright handling.

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Did you go 10/8 steve? I'm looking at the ISCs and thinking of going a bit softer.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
regarding spring rate.. what will the car be used for? street only, lots of track, or somewhere in the middle. however i have found the street spec spring rates compromise very little on outright handling.

Mostly street with a track day here and there. The ISC site has them as 10/8 so whats the go with that? If you increase that number does that make them stiffer?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Mostly street with a track day here and there. The ISC site has them as 10/8 so whats the go with that? If you increase that number does that make them stiffer?
yep higher the number, stiffer the spring.

i got 10/6 as obviously theres less weight over the rear wheels of a galant compared to a legnum, and i dont usually have heaps of shit in my boot. so for a legnum i would def recommend a 10/8 spring rate. if i had to get mine again i would go slightly stiffer in the rear too (so 10/8).

surprisingly the coilovers are really comfortable. perfect for daily driving. passengers never comment on the ride being too harsh or stiff. just make sure u play around and get the dampening right.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
So if you would get 10/8 for your galant would it be better if I get 10/10 or 12/10 or something? I'm guessing the front number is the front springs and the rear number is the rear springs?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Maybe a 10/7. There is only around 30kg's difference in the weight over the rear wheels between Leggie's and Galant's

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
So if you would get 10/8 for your galant would it be better if I get 10/10 or 12/10 or something? I'm guessing the front number is the front springs and the rear number is the rear springs?
nuh i wouldnt go any stiffer for street use. like what has been said, its only 30kgs heavier.. however coz u got such a large boot, more likely of having it full of things.

the 10/6 is fine really. i just reckon a slightly stiffer rear would be handy as ive maxed out the dampening to 'full hard'.

again.. get 10/8 :p

yep, first number identifies the front spring rate. it will (usually) be stiffer to take into account the engine.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Alright then, sweet. I'm definitely leaning toward the ISC N1's. Australian, spare parts, good warranty, not too expensive and they seem to have good rep too.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Looking at this myself at the moment.. Wondering if the ISC's are worth the extra ~$200 over the BC's? Alll that seems to be the difference in specs is 35 adjustment levels compared to 30. Wondering if there is notable difference in ride quality

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I don't see the value - they are both constructed overseas.

The only local part about the ISC is there is an Australian made alternative for the thrust bearing (camber top) but the rest of the unit is still made in taiwan/china/wherever. Personally I would save the $200 and go BC's :)

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
Even though there's readily available support and parts in Aus?

I'll be going with ISC's when the time comes.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
As far as I can see the BC's come direct from JDM in Sydney, which I presume would mean parts are also available from them? I'm reckoning I might hang on to my 200 bucks and use it to get them professionally fitted and adjusted, which is probably the most important thing anyway

Top Bottom