Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yeah different setups. also, i think it would depend on the valving used in the shock.

ksport track specs are 18front and 14 rear or something similar, whilst some teins are like 5 and 3, lower the number the comfier it is.

what were you thinkin of getting and what spring rates?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i think its more the preference of the companys. some companys would be used to setting up their cars for track, some for street. and also there is no correct spring rate, its all preference.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I was looking at maybe getting the XYZ's they are definitely a good deal, Steve you said a spring rate of 10/8 would be good right?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
+1 for 10/8. i hav 10/7 in my galant, so 8 would be good for a wagon.

how much are XYZ's??

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yep 10/8 is ideal.

i currently got 10/6's on mine, and the rear could do with a bit more adjustability. as i gota set the dampening to nearly maxed out on the stiffest to get the rear nice and firm to eliminate body roll.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
dont need them now, and i cant justify the cost seeing the minimal gain the will give me now with my coilovers set up correctly.

the advantage of a 8 rear spring rate is that u could use more of the dampening adjustability.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
So... My package finally arrived! Only took me 3 hours all up to install; and I have never touched suspension before. Big thanks to the "how to" guides.

Tein Super Wagon (EC5W-R)
Spring: 5F : 3R
Dampening: Set to half way to start with.

Before:
DSC_4829.jpg

After:
new_height.jpg

I'm extremely happy with the height; has really filled the wheel arches while still maintaining a good clearance and absolutely no scrubbing; even when cornering vigorously.

Goodies! (On a side note; RHDJapan are FANTASTIC! so easy to deal with and super quick service.)
package1.jpg

box.jpg

front-1.jpg

stickers.jpg

rust.jpg

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Beautiful!

It is amazing how a little bit of low can make a car look sooo much better.

So your thoughts on handling so far?

And 3 hrs all up is a very good effort! Did you adjust the height yourself after the install or take a guess on them before you put them in?

It is harder putting the stock ones back in i can tell you, just because the stock units are about 15mm longer and you have to jump on the brake rotor to get the control arms etc to come down.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Beautiful!

It is amazing how a little bit of low can make a car look sooo much better.

So your thoughts on handling so far?

And 3 hrs all up is a very good effort! Did you adjust the height yourself after the install or take a guess on them before you put them in?

It is harder putting the stock ones back in i can tell you, just because the stock units are about 15mm longer and you have to jump on the brake rotor to get the control arms etc to come down.

Handling; well I have only been for a short drive around the block. Took it down some side streets and gave it a boot-full around some corners; seems to have slight oversteer rather then the standard understeer, which I really like. The body has VERY minimal body roll; given I do have the front and rear strut bars; but sway bars are standard and damper is set to 50% at the moment. I was very impressed that even at their minimum height there was no scrubbing or issues of any kind.

I noted that ride quality was still very close to standard, you can feel it is a lot stiffer and more precise when turning, but you certainly don't rocket out the window when you hit a bump.

As for adjusting the height; I guessed with the first strut then adjusted when installed, but ended up measuring and doing the remaining while off the car, was MUCH easier.

And yes, I hear what you are saying about the standard struts. They were a bit of a mission to get out, it was all in the positioning and pulling down on the control arms to get the clearance. I had to get the mrs to hold the strut while I pulled down on the control arm and in one case, used a rubber mallet for persuasion. I found the hardest of all 4 corners to be the rear left, due to the mufflers hanging bracket being in the way and not having enough clearance to get leverage on the lower nut.

After thought.... I also found it MUCH easier to bolt up the end-links when I used a car jack under the hub to prop it up into place. There is no way I would have got them back in without it.

like so...
lift_hub.jpg

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I kind of like the standard FL enkei rims... I think for now putting the TEIN logo on the back above the VR4 badge will be the extent of my bank account for the next few months :p

cheers for the positive comments guys!

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Good to see you got them in Brett.. Now to find some tight, windy roads and enjoy... !

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
I;ve got my TEINs (no sway bars) set to just over 3 quarters in the rear and just over half at the front (dampening adjustment that is). Definitely needs more hard, but I just can't be f*cked getting to the rear adjustment :p

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
looks good mate, real good. the stockos surprised me. imho, if you ever wanted larger wheels, go the evo9 5spokes as theyre similar in design

well done on installing yourself too. did you roll your rear guards?

i hav 10kg F and 7kg R and im hard all the time

...wait wot?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Just a quick note with this though, buying through grey importers means you get absolutely no warranty at all, so if anything gives out you will be down whatever you paid for the product.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Just a quick note with this though, buying through grey importers means you get absolutely no warranty at all, so if anything gives out you will be down whatever you paid for the product.

yeah, that's why you're giving me a 50% discount on a set of coilovers that I buy from Fulcrum :p

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Where are you gonna take your machine around the Lakeside raceway ? You should go to the Time Attack website and come for a race

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Looks great Brett. To eliminate flightiness in the rear (causing the oversteer), get a rear strut brace.... Helps lots :)

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Looks great Brett. To eliminate flightiness in the rear (causing the oversteer), get a rear strut brace.... Helps lots :)

Thanks Dawso,

Already got one installed; from the 2nd batch made for ozvr4 members.

I have actually raised the rear 3 notches which evens the body gap to the wheel, same front and rear. IMO; looks a lot better. So far I am extremely impressed with their performance, I have used G4 in the past and thought they were rubbish, not to mention needing a kidney belt every time I drove the car. Sharp, responsive, smooth and low.... very happy :)

Top Bottom