Complete Electrical Cut Out

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I parked my car for 10 minutes this afternoon why I unloaded some stuff, I had just been driving it for about 20 minutes so it was warm. When I went to leave again I turned the key and the dash lit up for less than a second before completely cutting out with a click. The car then had no power whatsoever, no interior lights, no dash lights, no door open 'bong' and I couldn't lock or unlock it using the remote.

I popped the bonnet to see if the battery was still connected or had come loose, but it looked fine. I decided to try and lock the car again and it worked, and everything was good again, started the car and parked it properly. When it started it seemed everything had been reset (radio was off for example and air conditioner was on, where these were the opposite of this when I originally switched the car off).

Any idea what could have caused a temporary power cut like this? Could it just be a loose battery terminal? Something more sinister? It's never happened before. I'm running a Cyclops Transponder Immobiliser, I'm not sure if that's relative or not.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yeah my brothers car was the same and only thing we can come up with was the battery terminal is what maybe caused it, we cleaned both neg/positive terminals and never happened again and been 2 yrs now and still driving fine.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Thanks guys. I'm hoping it's just that. I'll give them a clean tomorrow.

Is there any issue with disconnecting the battery in regards to things like immoblisers?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
^ generally not if it's disarmed before hand in my experience.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Yeah I had a similar problem,
Turned out my negative battery terminal had corroded so badly it didn't make contact anymore

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
When to clean these up and didn't find them very dirty (they're covered in anti-corrosion yellow stuff). But when I want to remove the rubber case from the positive terminal, I pulled the whole cable off, so it was bloody loose. I've tightened them up now and I'm hoping that was the cause.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
We had issues with the sub/amp in our torneo that it wasnt loud with the new sub/amp combo and changing the terminals to ones that didnt undo all the time helped.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Buy a can of CRC soft seal and spray on terminals after the connection is made to prevent corrosion. This is what that yellow stuff is.

Top Bottom