constant whirring noise

G

Unregistered
Hi guys,

I've searched high and low on the forums since i bought the car back in February to find out what the noise is that i have as i'm driving at speeds. i figured i may aswell just ask because my car's coming up for it's major service and i'd like to pinpoint the problem before then so it can be fixed.

explanation: the noise is not motor related (revving the engine while standstill does nothing), the faster the speed the louder it gets. it's consistent. i've never not heard it. when i clutch in and drop it into neutral it gets slightly louder. between 0-30kph it can't be heard on acceleration but during braking i can hear it down to about 10kph.

any ideas would be fantastic.

also when i first bought the car it had just been given new fluids (ayc/transfer case)

Cheers, Mike

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
is it loud enough for a sound recording? does it happen when you're sitting still and idling or only on movement? wheres it sound like its coming from, front? back? worst case maybe gearbox related? :S

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Could be a shedload of things. If you push the car with the engine off can you hear it? Can you determine if its coming from a wheel or the transmission? My guess is a bearing somewhere, I believe the bearing on the output shaft is known to fail eventually / occasionally. At least you've eliminated the engine from the equation, now you just have to work out if its coming from a wheel, the transmission, diff or axle...

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I had this weird tinny ticking noist and it was the exhaust bouncing off the tail shaft.

Anyhow good luck. I found mine driving slow circles around my mate who was lying on the road and listening really carefully :)

G

Unregistered
i don't think it's the wheel bearings, i've heard a few wheel bearings in the past and this sounds central rather than outer... if that makes sense.

i think it's coming from the gearbox but not actually a gear, something like the bearing on the output shaft sounds more like it as the noise is only dependant on the movement of the car, not the gears being engaged or the engine speed. i was hoping it was a common problem, but it seems i might be a pioneer... spewing.

it's probably loud enough for a sound recording, i'll check it out.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If its the output shaft bearing you're not a pioneer. Have a search on CVR4 to see if it sounds like your issue...

G

Unregistered
possibly input shaft bearing or clutch release bearing

G

Unregistered
had a read of a guys post which ended up being the transfer box and he had very similar symptoms, although his were much more pronounced which you'd expect with no oil in the transfer box.

not good..

G

Unregistered
well the unfortunate update... i had my major service today and they mentioned the noise was definitely coming from the transfer box and that the oil removed from the box had metal filings in it. so now it's time to look at a replacement transfer box.

my question is what transfer box is the same as the legnum's. is it the evo 5, evo 6 or the magna AWD ??

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
According to ASA the transfer case is MD748268 and it's used in CP9A (Evo VI), CN9A (Evo IV) and EC5A/W

I think CP9A must include Evo V as well...otherwise it doesn't really make sense...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
CN9A = EVO 5.

I am not sure that the Magna AWD one is the same or not, unfortunately ASA doesn't have those details in it. It is definitely the same as the EVO 4-6 though.

Best place to look would probably be trademe, or to get your current one rebuilt.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Isn't there one for sale in WA

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Why would you replace the whole transfer case? Get your one stripped down - you've either stripped teeth off one of the shafts or a bearing has let go (or a combination). Either way it will be way cheaper and easier to replace the damaged component and rebuild than replacing the whole assembly...

G

Unregistered
Wouldn't that still require buying another case to use as a parts donor? or would the internals be generic?

G

Unregistered
for future reference in case someone else ends up with a similar issue:

i ended up removing the transfer case and inspecting to find the gears were naffed (pitting on all teeth) and investigated rebuild costs but wasn't convinced it would cost less than a grand.

so i did some looking around and found 2 transfer cases from 2 different places (both 2nd hand) the first one was $350 and the other $1750. it's amazing the difference in price you can get for the same part!

having fitted that and driven around for a week the sound is gone.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
Mike, when you say the transfer case is your problem, which one is it, front or rear?
coz i might have the same problem too, since i've got that whining noise at speed as well

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There is a transfer case at the front and a rear diff. I would suggest changing the oil in both, then seeing what happens.

Top Bottom