Whirring issue at rear axle

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes' started by Nash, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Nash

Nash Leaving Skid Marks Lifetime Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Drive:
    1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4
    2012 Kia Optima Platnum
    Well I have a whirring issue too.

But mine is from the rear of the car. The sound gets real loud at about 80 Kph and then sort of dies away as I go fast, but that might be due to road/wind noise over powering it.

The noise is there at slow speeds but doesn't really start getting bad until the car gets faster.

I am guessing this may be a bearing problem, as there seem to be minimal resistance when the car is rolling in neutral, just heaps of noise.

My mechanic says that its the tyres, but I am sure tyres aren't making all the noise, as I would probably hear the same from the front.

Now this is a question hard to explain:

When the car is jacked up off the wheels, is the rear axle meant to turn as easy as the front axle ? I mean when you turn one of the driving wheels, the Differential function causes the wheel on the other end of the axle to rotate in the opposite direction.

With the Front axle I can free spin this up, its nice and easy to turn, however, with the rear axle its like I almost need a crow bar to even turn the wheels, I get the differential effect, but the resistance is so high It feels like I forgot to take the handbrake off...:p

Is this normal for AYC diffs, or is mine stuffed ?

2. leebutts

leebutts 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Lee
    Drive:
    2001 Golf GTI
    I noticed this too - I couldn't turn the rear axel when mine was jacked up - but I only had the back off the ground - I assume the front being down stops the rears from turning?

Lee (4WD n00b)

3. Nash

First Name:
    Craig
    Drive:
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4
    2012 Kia Optima Platnum
    Nar, the drive shaft should not even try to turn. Should it ?

4. RaZZa137

RaZZa137 Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Rowan
    Drive:
    1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
    .....but if you have it in neutral, shouldn't the wheels turn???? im really confused reading this, lolz maybe lee is right, if the front can't move the back can't :S:S

5. Gly

Gly Guest

no its 4wd,
    you need to have all 4 wheels off the gound to turn them freely...

its due to how all the diff's link the wheels togther.

have you checked your brake calipers/pads,

sometimes these stick/jam...

also did you take off the handbrake?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2007
  6. bradc

bradc 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Brad
    Drive:
    Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
    Actually if you have both front wheels off the ground and both back wheels on the ground, it is very easy to spin the front wheels as per usual.

On my ST-R which has an open diff at the back, it is similarly easy to spin the back wheels around. On AYC cars, the back wheels are very difficult to spin, regardless of whether the front wheels are up in the air or not.

7. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    SA, Trevor
    Drive:
    '99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
    'Cause the rear diff never completely disengages, so you have to turn the AYC mechanism and forward drive shaft from the wheels?

8. Nash

First Name:
    Craig
    Drive:
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4
    2012 Kia Optima Platnum
    Got some new info.

It appears that if I swerve the car to the left when at speed (80) the noise almost totally goes away but if I go straight its noisy and if I swerve right it gets even louder.

That appears to indicate front wheel bearings to me, but it does sound like the noise is from the rear......

Perhaps I need my ears checked.....:p

Any Ideas ????

9. Nash

First Name:
    Craig
    Drive:
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4
    2012 Kia Optima Platnum
    Carsten, Brad and Trevor. Thanks for the info. Indeed, it spin fine once all four wheels were off the ground. And Carsten, I forgot the handbrake this time....lol

I am deaf I think. The problem is the front left Bearing. Oh and the Pirelli P6000's dont help either, as they are quite noisey.

10. VR4Rocket

VR4Rocket Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Kevin
    Drive:
    Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
    Sorry to change the tack a bit but I have a groaning noise from the rear ( definitely the rear :) ) when I go around a corner that has an angle of about 20 degrees...is this the AYC?

11. Nash

First Name:
    Craig
    Drive:
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4
    2012 Kia Optima Platnum
    I had a car full of people today, and they all thought it was left rear. Grrrr, this is frustrating.

In a straight line and veering to the right, I could hardly hear the people in the back talking.

Can we press out the bearing and actually replace them rather than the whole hub assy ?

Its a bit steep $400 + for the whole hub. Especially if I find its not the bearing after all. Or its the wrong one !

Bearing no is: Koyo DACF1092A

There is a Club VR-4 link: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16465&highlight=wheel+bearings

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  12. Nash

First Name:
    Craig
    Drive:
    1998 FL Legnum VR-4
    2012 Kia Optima Platnum
    Ok. I got my Rear Hub Carriers out.

As stated on Front Whirring Thread, the Part Number for the Rear Bearing is NTN HUB111 (The fronts are a different number - Not got them out yet, they are stuffed too)

This is the whole Carrier minus the Hub itself (The bit with splines and the 5 studs).

The bearings outer sleeve is the Hub Carrier !

However, I have read online that their is a good chance of seal Damage when pressing them onto the Hub itself.

So I might order the whole unit from Camskill. Just checking the Price Vs Mitsubishi Australia.

I have some Pics below of the Parts.

hub4.jpg
    Complete Hub and Carrier

hub3.jpg
    The Bearing ID

Hub2.jpg
    The Hub with Race left behind....Ooops. Oh and Dog hair !

[​IMG]
    Hub Carrier Minus Bottom Race. PN:NTN HUB111 (Yes that whole thing is the Bearing)

carbroke.jpg
    My Poor Car !!!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  13. HarriK

HarriK Guest

Did the whirring go away?
    I think i have same problem in rear axle bearings now...
    I have ordered new spare parts form camskill now...looking forward to get those in a week...

14. LEG-NUMB

LEG-NUMB Guest

just curious was the noise being made kind of a thumping/grinding at the same time kind of noise?