Whirring issue with front wheel - Please help!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Graeme I got both those part numbers straight from the Mitsubishi CAPS database using my chassis number, so I'd say 100% the MR403970 or MR334386 would fit on your car no worries... Assuming they haven't mislabelled it or anything! It just sounds like they can't confirm it because the Parts database they use in Australia doesn't include grey-market imports (and thus they have utterly no info on them). I don't think they'd have any trouble giving you a refund / ordering the other part if it turned out to be the wrong one anyway.

So according to CAPS, that one should be fine, but I can't vouche for the accuracy of Mitsubishi QLD ;)

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
Can someone who understands what parts are what please post this into the thread useful part numbers, cos i'm sure a few people wil be after these numbers. I know theres a lot of part numbers mentioned and i got lost. Thanks in advance.....

G

Unregistered
To set the record straight part number MR403970 is no longer in use and has been superseded by MR334386 (hence why CAPS shows two part numbers).

I have been on the phone to several Mitsubishi Parts places in Brisbane and have found that part number MR334386 belongs to a UG Nimbus, interestingly enough.

I am in a bit of a dilemma, as to what to do. When I provide Mitsubishi with my chassis number, I am given part number MR455004, along with looking down the barrel of a minimum three week wait. I however am unable to return any parts to Mitsubishi that they order in (appears to be the same at each place), so reluctant to go out and purchase MR334386, which they do have to order in but is in a Brisbane warehouse.

Why are there differences in part numbers between what Trevor has found on CAPS and what Mitsubishi are providing me?

Thanks again.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Graeme,

How did you go with this?

Was the contact in NZ I sent you of any help?

Or did you get something from Mitsubishi Locally?

Regards

Gavin

G

Unregistered
Unfortunately still waiting on a few people to get back to me. The Legnum and Galant have different part numbers. I will know shortly 100% if they are infact the identical part with different numbers. A little painful, but I think worth it for all if I get to the bottom of it.

Will keep everyone updated.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Jeeze would have thought it would be easier to work out than this! Sorry to hear you've been given the runaround on it dude :( Good luck!!

G

Unregistered
I have reached a point where it might be as far as I take this issue, but I thought I would share the information that I have gathered thus far. The problem is that nobody is able to give a definitive answer on the part sharing ability between the Legnum, Galant, Evo V-VI and UG Nimbus.

Galant - MR455004
Legnum - MR334386 (same as UG Nimbus)
Evo V-VI - MB914617

The reason I was attempting to identify the part sharing ability, was that the Galant part is not held in Australia. The UG Nimbus and Evo parts however are.

So at the end of the day a little joy for the Legnum owners as it appears that the UG Nimbus part can be used. As for the Galant owners, it appears that for now at least, there is a three week wait from Japan.

***Before the question is posed, I did not purchase a UG Nimbus part or Evo part and trial fit, because NOBODY would allow a return (even on an unused part). Basicially I didn't want to waste $400.00 on an estimated guess. Just a whole lot of wasted time with national and international phone calls to boot!

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
That's strange, my local mitsy dealer was more than happy for me to return parts as long as they had not been installed and that they were still in their packaging. I'd be asking exactly why their policy on returns is so different between states seeing as all you will need to do is hold them both up against one another to determine if they are interchangeable or not.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Graeme,

I can't imagine the Legnum and Galant using different parts.
The difference part numbers you have may be between pre-facelift and facelift models?

From what I've read I think the Evo part would fit the facelift 98+ VR-4s.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
Reason I have been given, is because the part is an order in part. Still in Australia, but not in the dealers part bin. All dealers have advised the same. Pay up front too!

G

Unregistered
Pre and post facelift are supposed to use the same hub, just different carriers (different part).

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Ah sorry, I was confusing the part we were talking about.
The Legnum and Galant should still share the same part regardless.
The only difference between the two would be body work and harder rear suspension right?

cheers

Lee

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hey Guys,

Lets try and cut through some of this Mitsubishi stupidity and get an answer for Graeme here.

Using my Prefacelift Legnum in Caps this is what I get

Manf Date

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hey Guys,

I think I have found the problem. It looks to me like there is a bug in the caps software.

If you use a low serial number like EC5A 0001500 which has a same manufacturing date code as Graeme's, the picture shows both the 4 bolt and 5 bolt hubs. But selecting either hub returns the same part numbers (MB949097 or MR455004). This can't be right.

If I use Vin EC5A 0002730 and look at the hub I get a screen which tells me the following
Manf 9607.1 thru 9705.1 use MB949097 or MR455004
Manf 9705.2 thru 9708.3 use MR369519 or MR334386

Where as if I use a EC5W 0001500 serial number for the Legnum 25ST (class LRPE) which I know has a 4 bolt hub and the MB949096 MR455003 as part numbers.

So I expect that the Galant sedans produced around 05/97 swapped from having a model with 4 or 5 bolt hubs to only having 5 bolt hubs (same as the legnum must have).

So I expect that the correct part numbers for Graeme to use are MR403970 or MR369519 or MR334386 which we know are the 5 bolt hubs whihc the part numbers match for the 9706 Legnum (mine) through to the 9906 Legnum. These numbers also match the 9705 onwards Galants.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Regards
Gavin

G

Unregistered
This is very interesting. The number that continues to get thrown at me by Mitsubishi is MR455004. This is a bit of a nightmare as I want to sell my other car and actually drive this thing!

* Thank you Gavin, greatly appreciate your effort!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Good work Gav :)

To be honest I'm EXTREMELY disappointed that Kempys NZ couldn't help with this... :(

G

Unregistered
I was too. Their words were, "We have not done this before, but it should be the same", referring to using the Legnum part number (UG Nimbus). Further conversation was a little uncertain. When you are spending $400, you want it to work. Kempys also did not have the part in stock.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hey Graeme,

I wouldn't go ordering that part from Mitsubishi, unless they guarantee that it will be the 5 bolt hub they supply.

But I expect that they should be able to get a view of a Numbus pretty easily to do a visual conformation to see if that one is the same, or give a couple of local wreckers a call and see what they say about finding a nimbus.

Regards

Gavin

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hey Guys,

I did give Graeme the email address for a wrecker in NZ who I found on trademe. He apparently has some hubs in stock, and that they would cost $100NZ (plus shipping) for a complete assembly. His name is Quinton and his email is catch62@vodafone.net.nz.

He has been quite easy to deal with, so you should be able to get one there.

Regards

Gavin

Top Bottom