Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Well I have a whirring issue too.

But mine is from the rear of the car. The sound gets real loud at about 80 Kph and then sort of dies away as I go fast, but that might be due to road/wind noise over powering it.

The noise is there at slow speeds but doesn't really start getting bad until the car gets faster.

I am guessing this may be a bearing problem, as there seem to be minimal resistance when the car is rolling in neutral, just heaps of noise.

My mechanic says that its the tyres, but I am sure tyres aren't making all the noise, as I would probably hear the same from the front.

Now this is a question hard to explain:

When the car is jacked up off the wheels, is the rear axle meant to turn as easy as the front axle ? I mean when you turn one of the driving wheels, the Differential function causes the wheel on the other end of the axle to rotate in the opposite direction.

With the Front axle I can free spin this up, its nice and easy to turn, however, with the rear axle its like I almost need a crow bar to even turn the wheels, I get the differential effect, but the resistance is so high It feels like I forgot to take the handbrake off...:p

Is this normal for AYC diffs, or is mine stuffed ?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I noticed this too - I couldn't turn the rear axel when mine was jacked up - but I only had the back off the ground - I assume the front being down stops the rears from turning?

Lee (4WD n00b)

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Nar, the drive shaft should not even try to turn. Should it ?

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
.....but if you have it in neutral, shouldn't the wheels turn???? im really confused reading this, lolz maybe lee is right, if the front can't move the back can't :S:S

G

Unregistered
no its 4wd,
you need to have all 4 wheels off the gound to turn them freely...

its due to how all the diff's link the wheels togther.

have you checked your brake calipers/pads,

sometimes these stick/jam...

also did you take off the handbrake?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Actually if you have both front wheels off the ground and both back wheels on the ground, it is very easy to spin the front wheels as per usual.

On my ST-R which has an open diff at the back, it is similarly easy to spin the back wheels around. On AYC cars, the back wheels are very difficult to spin, regardless of whether the front wheels are up in the air or not.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
'Cause the rear diff never completely disengages, so you have to turn the AYC mechanism and forward drive shaft from the wheels?

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Got some new info.

It appears that if I swerve the car to the left when at speed (80) the noise almost totally goes away but if I go straight its noisy and if I swerve right it gets even louder.

That appears to indicate front wheel bearings to me, but it does sound like the noise is from the rear......

Perhaps I need my ears checked.....:p

Any Ideas ????

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Carsten, Brad and Trevor. Thanks for the info. Indeed, it spin fine once all four wheels were off the ground. And Carsten, I forgot the handbrake this time....lol

I am deaf I think. The problem is the front left Bearing. Oh and the Pirelli P6000's dont help either, as they are quite noisey.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Sorry to change the tack a bit but I have a groaning noise from the rear ( definitely the rear :) ) when I go around a corner that has an angle of about 20 degrees...is this the AYC?

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
I had a car full of people today, and they all thought it was left rear. Grrrr, this is frustrating.

In a straight line and veering to the right, I could hardly hear the people in the back talking.

Can we press out the bearing and actually replace them rather than the whole hub assy ?

Its a bit steep $400 + for the whole hub. Especially if I find its not the bearing after all. Or its the wrong one !

Bearing no is: Koyo DACF1092A

There is a Club VR-4 link: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16465&highlight=wheel+bearings

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Ok. I got my Rear Hub Carriers out.

As stated on Front Whirring Thread, the Part Number for the Rear Bearing is NTN HUB111 (The fronts are a different number - Not got them out yet, they are stuffed too)

This is the whole Carrier minus the Hub itself (The bit with splines and the 5 studs).

The bearings outer sleeve is the Hub Carrier !

However, I have read online that their is a good chance of seal Damage when pressing them onto the Hub itself.

So I might order the whole unit from Camskill. Just checking the Price Vs Mitsubishi Australia.

I have some Pics below of the Parts.

hub4.jpg

Complete Hub and Carrier

hub3.jpg

The Bearing ID

Hub2.jpg

The Hub with Race left behind....Ooops. Oh and Dog hair !

hub1.jpg

Hub Carrier Minus Bottom Race. PN:NTN HUB111 (Yes that whole thing is the Bearing)

carbroke.jpg

My Poor Car !!!

G

Unregistered
Did the whirring go away?
I think i have same problem in rear axle bearings now...
I have ordered new spare parts form camskill now...looking forward to get those in a week...

G

Unregistered
just curious was the noise being made kind of a thumping/grinding at the same time kind of noise?

Top Bottom