Status
Not open for further replies.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I got a crack in the top tank of my radiator last night.
I have used the search tools and found out a few things, but the following questions I have I have not found an answer for:

1. The crack happened last night on a cool night and was not boosting at all. Should I be concerned there is a failure somewhere else in the cooling system, which has led to the crack? Or given the car is 15 years old, it was just a matter of time?
2. Do standard vr4 radiators have plastic top and bottom tanks?
3. Is it possible to have a professional to plastic weld these?
4. Can the top tank be replaced? If so, where do you get a replacement tank? And how does it come off?
5. I have been recommended to buy a Golpher Radiator off ebay. The seller on there doesnt seem to have any stock. Anywhere else I could get one of these in Adelaide?
6. Is the golpher radiator a straight swap for a standard one? I dont want to muck around modifying things.
7. This one looks pretty good (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RADIATOR...IGH-QUALITY-/161767504856?hash=item25aa183bd8), is half the price of the Golpher, and says its a direct replacement. Anyone else bought this one?

FYI not planning on keeping the car for another 10 years, so the replacement doesnt have to last forever. And obviously want to keep the costs as minimal as possible!

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Dare say it cracked due to old age.

Gopher Rads are good. Mine came with the car. "Shouldn't" have to modify anything. At worst it will be trimming the fan shrouds do they fit back in as the Gopher is thicker.

Cant help you on the other questions though dude, sorry.

Perhaps pop into a radiator shop and see if they can repair the crack.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
They came from factory with plastic radiators, but ours seem to be harder on them than most, possibly due to our higher engine bay temps (but coolant is hot anyway)

They crack from age and heat cycles, it was only a matter of time.
Iits not worth getting it repaired when a golpher is $300 and plastic ones are even cheaper.

If you aren't serious about how you use your car and don't plan to keep it long, there is no problem with that cheap one you linked, it just won't be as tough as an alloy end tank one. - Golphers are a direct fit.

The only good thing about plastic top tanks is that when they fail, they fail rapidly and impressively, so at least you know about it straight away.
Also you can't burn your hand on a plastic top tank...

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I have just ordered a brand new Koya Rad for $175 from NatRad (with 2 year warranty).
Decided against spending the extra on the Golpher, as I am not keeping the car for 10 years so I didn't see the benefit.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
As long as it has any warranty at all you should be fine. Plastic tank radiators have what is called the bathtub pattern of failure rates. If they make it though the first few weeks they will last for ages.

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
Plastic is fine, the cycles of heating and cooling eventually takes its toll after a few years and weakens it. Can't usually be plastic welded as it becomes brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom