CRACKED SUMP - HELP!!!

mitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
mitch
Drive
96 Legnum
Hi all,

so last night driving home I hit a bump in the road which ended up cracking my sump, got home and there was a trail of oil from where I had just driven up the drive way and a massive puddle underneath :(

my question is,

are you able to remove the sump easily? i.e. without taking the engine out? (haven't had a chance to look underneath in daylight yet)

And would I be better off buying a new sump or am I able to weld up the existing one?

cheers
mitch

G

Unregistered
Yes you can remove just the sump, you may have to also remove the front pipes if they give you trouble accessing the bolts on that side.

Probably not easy to repair unless you are just looking to do a bodge job, and might not be worth the risk of it failing in the future.

mitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
mitch
Drive
96 Legnum
excellent, thanks for replying.

any chance you have any in stock?

JediRuss

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Russ
Drive
'98 Legnum
'98 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Gday Mitch

I had this same problem. If you jack the front up it isn't too hard to get off. There are a couple of bolt that I could only get perhaps....10% of a turn on each bite at it. But they are all get-able. Once the bolts are out you need to pry it off. Might need to break the seal with a sharp knife. Then a good strong flat head screw driver or a paint scraper or something. I would also get the gasket and trace it onto a piece of gasket material to cut out.

I had the crack cleaned and brazed. A mate is a mechanical engineer and did it for free. Would have charged me $100 he said.

Reverse the whole process using the newly cut gasket and new gasket goo.

Refill the oil. Robert's your father's brother.

mitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
mitch
Drive
96 Legnum
Gday Mitch

I had this same problem. If you jack the front up it isn't too hard to get off. There are a couple of bolt that I could only get perhaps....10% of a turn on each bite at it. But they are all get-able. Once the bolts are out you need to pry it off. Might need to break the seal with a sharp knife. Then a good strong flat head screw driver or a paint scraper or something. I would also get the gasket and trace it onto a piece of gasket material to cut out.

I had the crack cleaned and brazed. A mate is a mechanical engineer and did it for free. Would have charged me $100 he said.

Reverse the whole process using the newly cut gasket and new gasket goo.

Refill the oil. Robert's your father's brother.

Thanks Russ.

any chance you would know the part number for the gasket?

G

Unregistered
There is no gasket specified by Mitsubishi, from the factory it uses liquid gasket sealant. I wonder how Russ's came to have one. :wideyed:

sump.JPG

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Can always just tig it back up too.

Top Bottom