Custom Made Coilovers?

G

Unregistered
Hi guys,

As you know I all have that Red super VR4 Galant in transit and cannot wait till she gets here.

Now thing is you guys might not know that I used to own a very rare 3rd Gen Mitsubishi GTO. Aftermarket parts for this car were very scarce and because I owned and operated Brisbane car Audio & Performance back then I had finances, contacts and knowledge/R&D to make shit happen.

My company developed a Coilover suspension system for the GTO's in conjunction with one of our reputable suppliers.

Here is what we made:

A one-off coilover setup made from various components from JIC, KSport and TEIN. Even though its a one-off setup it can be rebuilt by any place that rebuilds suspension because all parts are off the shelf from the respective manufacturers, nothing was made proprietary to avoid this problem.

I invested invested over $7000 R&D and initial production costs for this prototype.

Components are made in Taiwan, Japan, USA and Australia. Then all of it is assembled in Australia by our workshop.

- 32 way adjustable damping.
- 45mm internal piston for the ultimate valving characteristics.
- Duralumin 6061 Seats.
- Body made from high quality T6061 Aluminum.
- Adjustable Compression / Rebound.
- Height adjustment.
- Adjustable body allowing maximum suspension travel
- Pillow Ball Top Mount with adjustable camber plates.
- Monotube Nitrogen Gas Damper.
- Electroplated body in a one off gold color.
- 14kg Front and 10kg rear spring rates.
- Only fit AWD 3000GT, GTO & Stealth.

coilover07.jpg

coilover11.jpg

coilover09.jpg

coilover08.jpg

Now the good news is my supplier already has all the specs and details for the EC5A VR4 Galant so making them would be a piece of piss as opposed to the setup I made and all would be made in his factory and shipped straight to us.

Since I am not in the performance parts business these days I could make these as a charity case lol (whatever it costs me it costs you) and have them shipped to your door for $1000 a set.

This is only an idea, I'm not here to make money. I am out of the performance parts industry and into the food business because thats where the money is, consider this more as a favour, "cause I can" kinda thing if anyone was keen?

Also bare in mind if anyone was keen the would have to wait till my Galant VR4 landed in Aus so I could really drive it hard and do a bit of track time to gauge what spring rates would be necessary, off the top of my head based on the weight of the car and the front bias a 10kg front and 8kg rear would be an awesome all rounder.

Thanks
Altaaf

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Consider yourself having one order already!

As long as they are as good as Tein, Diayama, Cusco, Tanabe, etc

G

Unregistered
Consider yourself having one order already!

As long as they are as good as Tein, Diayama, Cusco, Tanabe, etc

IMHO they would be comparable to TEIN.

If people are actually keen, once I have a set in my own car I will let some members on the forum in Brisbane take her for a spin and let them give you some independent feedback on them.

I don't like to talk anything up, but independent feedback should be a good indicator if something is good or not.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
If you do a version with higher rear spring rates for the Legnum then I'd be keen.

Any idea if the tops are compatible with the Tein EDFC? That would be a big plus!

cheers

Lee

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
im down like a clown for a pair,all i want is to adjust height and get rid of of a bit of body roll,and dont want to pay up to $2000 for race stuff when i dont race to work and back

G

Unregistered
10-14kg front and 8-12kg rear would be ok

14kg fronts will lead to Kidney damage and chipped teeth.

I reckon a Galant will be fine with 10kg fronts and 8kg rears a Legnum with 12kg fronts and 10kg rears might be the way to go if theres people out there wanting higher rear spring rates.......But this will be bumpier and more uncomfortable then any of the TEIN models as there spring rates are really low around 8kg and 5kg for extreme comfort with a sporty edge.

So depends on what each person is after in their cars. I personally think 10kg fronts and 8kg rears on BOTH the Galant and Legnum will be adequate for track and street use.

It would be nice to just be able to give everybody their own personal choice in spring rates, I might look into this depending on the demand and if the manufacturer will allow.

If you do a version with higher rear spring rates for the Legnum then I'd be keen.

Any idea if the tops are compatible with the Tein EDFC? That would be a big plus!

cheers

Lee

Funny thing I was asked this when I designed it for the 3000GT/GTO. No this is not possible due to it being a complex copyright issue.

im down like a clown for a pair,all i want is to adjust height and get rid of of a bit of body roll,and dont want to pay up to $2000 for race stuff when i dont race to work and back

I see what your trying to say, just cause I can get the prices so cheap don't for a minute think this is inferior or not as good as TEIN.

I saw the prices to a car lowered, $600 fitted and aligned at my local suspension shop. The spring rates are just SHIT and I couldnt get the exact perfect ride height. Most of our cars have anywhere from 60,000-120,000kms onwards. Lowered springs would just kill the shocks fast, then you'd be up for a set of shocks. Hence why these coilovers will work out cheaper.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
You could ship a set to me with 3 sets of springs :)

8,10,12kg fronts and 6,8,10kg rears. I've got enough friends with galants and legnums to mess around and come up with results :D Also access to cars with other uprated suspension components such as sway bars, etc and other cars with Teins, lowering springs, etc

G

Unregistered
You could ship a set to me with 3 sets of springs :)

8,10,12kg fronts and 6,8,10kg rears. I've got enough friends with galants and legnums to mess around and come up with results :D Also access to cars with other uprated suspension components such as sway bars, etc and other cars with Teins, lowering springs, etc

Thanks for the offer mate, but I will sus it all out in Brisbane.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'm sure that there'd be a few of us willing to Guinea pigs.

G

Unregistered
Very interested, I still would have thought that 10k front and 8k rear would still be tough on aussie roads.

No matter though, very intrigued!! Will keep a close eye on this thread.

G

Unregistered
Very, very keen!
A few spring rate options to cater for the racers and grampies would be great.

G

Unregistered
10-14kg front and 8-12kg rear would be ok

save your money and use a bit of 50x50 SHS as a strut... because that will have the same feeling as a 14kg spring.

i've got 8.7kg fronts, and 7.2kg rears, and there is no way in hell i'd be going into double digit spring rates.

G

Unregistered
Im in. Good by half of my christmas bonus. Anyone know if there is a difference between a FL and a PFL suspension set up?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
When Tein themselves have the following rates:
Super Wagon, 5kg/3kg
Super Flex Wagon, 8kg/5kg
How could you even contemplate 10/8kg for rough Australian Road?! If you only wanted it for track work, sure, but as mitchy said, double figures seems insane!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've been in a VR-4 with 12kg front and 8kg rear and it was fine. The dampers were set quite soft and the car was really comfortable and smooth

G

Unregistered
When Tein themselves have the following rates:

How could you even contemplate 10/8kg for rough Australian Road?! If you only wanted it for track work, sure, but as mitchy said, double figures seems insane!

Yes those spring rates do seem harsh compared to the TEIN gear, I cannot comment on the TEIN coilovers for a galant/legnum as I have never used em.

But im my opinion its not all about spring rates, these coilovers incorporate a massive 45mm piston for ultimately smooth valving and rebound.

If you were to have 10kg front and 8kg rear with zero dampening it would be perfect driving it in traffic on the street, up the dampening 16 notches and thats where shit starts to get hektic lol.

Once again only real world testing will tell! Cant wait till the car comes!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^Fair enough then...

Basically I'll be looking for a coilover that will allow my newborn to sleep while NOT shaking his organs out his backside, then turn the damping up for track work and NOT roll all over the place...

If you can suggest a good rate to me after your research I'm all ears :D

Top Bottom