Custom Made Coilovers?

G

Unregistered
^Fair enough then...

Basically I'll be looking for a coilover that will allow my newborn to sleep while NOT shaking his organs out his backside, then turn the damping up for track work and NOT roll all over the place...

If you can suggest a good rate to me after your research I'm all ears :D

I'll be brutally honest, if it was me I'd leave the stock suspension the way it is if I had a new born.....

Saying that it's probably best to go for a ride in a Legnum with someone who has a set of the softest TEINS (5kg front and 3kg rear) then make a decision on how it handles and if it feels smooth enough for your baby to drive in safely

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I'll have TEIN Super Wagons in my Legnum in 10 days (fingers crossed). However, my old Astina was lowered and had quite a harsh ride and my infant daughter didn't seem to mind it.

Now that she's three, however... maybe that explains some of her current stroppy behaviour... lol

...Nah, three year olds are a pain no matter what. "Terrible twos" got nothing on your average three year old. Mark my words, Lee. :p

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Aren't the teins rated between 5 to 8kg front and 3 to 5kg rear? Not that they are the be all end all comparison, but I'd imagine 14kg would be stiff enough to give you a bruised ass and a possible herniated disc.

Edit: Ooops, sorry, didn't see the second page to this thread, looks like I restated the obvious for the 3rd time.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I have Tein Superwagons. They are 5kg front and 3kg rear. I have the dampers maxed but ride is still a bit to spongy. I really wish i got the GT wagons 8kg front and 5kg rear. I think these rates would suit the legnum perfectly for daily use and if you wanted the occasional fang.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yeh. Handling is much better. The car has cheapo tyres and would screech thru 1 particular corner at 70. Last time i went thru it i cruised thru at 90 and nothing, car was holding well too. There is much increased camber tho. I would have to say that the ride quality isn't at good as stock. Prob coz the dampers are maxed.

Speed humps are harsh but it bounces off the average bump in the road...

I really would like to try the GT wagon 8kg F and 5kg R. A friend has an Evo 7 with 10 and 7 kg springs and it is ok but maybe just a little harsh.

G

Unregistered
I would be inclined to get 6f/4r or 7f/5r if there was an option. Definitely waiting until your car gets here ??

G

Unregistered
im hunting down a set of cusco zero1's when my teins bite the bullet.
12kg F 6kg R.

Kidneys are for the weak!!

G

Unregistered
rofl...

you do realise huge spring rates does not equal great handling?
the higher rates will skip rather than keeping traction, and whilst they shake your internal organs into mush, they are also doing the same to the car.

i've seen an R33 with 10/8kg get a cracked windscreen as a result of too high a spring rate, as rather than the suspension moving, the chassis does.

8/6 with a good set of sway bars, and new bushes through out would be more than adequate for any track work you want to do.

most jap manufacturers will use spring rates to compensate for their lack of any other suspension mods, thats why you can buy teins with 12/10kg rates for a 1300kg coupe such as an R33.

my R33 had 10/8kg/mm tein HA's in it, and whilst it had sway bars, and basically every other suspension mod, it never handled as well as it should have..
i had people drive behind me on the freeway saying they could see the back end twitching and skipping.. and that was with the dampers at the softest setting... any harder and i may as well have welded the shock up, as it wasnt going to move.

G

Unregistered
i agree higher spring rates dont mean better handling, but im looking at whats available and for the money i think that is the best option considering tein coilovers are designed and have spring rates suited to legnums and i have a galant.

high spring rates and no sway bars as weird as that sounds would make the car handle better.

the only thing that would make you crack a windscreen would be hitting a pot hole.

your 33 probably didnt handle well because the complete package was incorrect just like any other part of the car the whole package has to compliment each other.

G

Unregistered
i agree higher spring rates dont mean better handling, <snip>
high spring rates and no sway bars as weird as that sounds would make the car handle better. <snip>

you're contradicting yourself..
go drive a high spring rated car, and then the same car with lower spring rates, and sway bars.. and the slofter suspension will whoop the other cars ass in every which way.

not necessarily a pot hole either.. but its not like australian roads are perfectly flat either.
all the extra stress and vibrations the suspension isnt absorbing has to go somewhere, and the chassis takes it in the end.

to be completely honest, i couldnt care less what anyone puts in their car as i'm not the driver, i'm merely trying to advise people of the pro's (very little) and cons of stiff suspension.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
As an input to this argument, Tim Possingham - a very talented SA Driver - entered a 1988 Silvia into the Classic Adelaide Rally last year which is a tarmac rally run around the hills of Adelaide. He originally had 7/5's in his silvia, but after much testing, he went down to 6/4's for OPTIMUM handling on the Adelaid ROADS. This was coupled with sway bars and strut braces so I'm with mitchy - spring rates aren't the be all to end all.

Also, if you look on SAU at SydneyKid's group buys, his handling packages using whiteline springs and Bilstein shocks are raved about, with rates only about 25% above stock as its all in the shock and waybars, NOT the spring rate.

G

Unregistered
i knew an SAU boy who had dealt with sydneykid would pipe up sooner or later :p

i'm pretty sure the v8 supertaxi's only use 7/6 too...

G

Unregistered
i should clarify what i said it is correct high spring rates are not the be all to end all but it comes down to the complete package you have.
at the end of the day a car with high spring rate coilovers and NO away bars could handle just as well as a car with lower spring rate coilovers and stiff sway bars.
i know about the sydneykid packages was very close to putting a set into my old s15.

the v8 "supertaxis" probably use lower sprnig rates due to the nature of the sway bars they use.

G

Unregistered
we arent talking about low spring rates like the factory 3/2, i'm talking about using 8/6 + swaybars, rather than the 14/10 people are talking about.. because that is going to handle WORSE.

Top Bottom