Defi gauges and turbotech boost controller

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
ford xe 351 legnum vr4 Ford G6ET
I've got my defi boost, water and oil temp gauges installed this week and just fitted the turbotech boost controller to up the boost a bit. It now hits about 15 psi, and has increased the midrange power nicely. It was already hitting around 11psi before but not holding it for long. Boost cut seems to be around 17psi. The vr4 feels like a real turbo car now with a nice whack of torque in the mid range, just what you want for overtaking in 4th and 5th gear.
100_34561.jpg

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
They don't have the blacked out face in the 52mm size, only the 60mm and larger, otherwise I would of got the blacked out ones.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Wow nice tidy install!!

Have you got an aftermarket exhaust or intake?

I think bradc said 15psi is about the most the factory turbos will run.

cheers

Lee

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
Yep its got Kakimoto R exhaust on it, I wouldn't mind getting a new larger cat converter because the ones they put on during compliance aren't too good.

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
Backing plate was $16us from egauges.com, all the gauges and controller was from them as well, they were the best prices I had found anywhere on the net.$77us for the shipping and only 6 days to my door, took only 2 days from the us to aus from when I put my order in.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Great job Richard. Nice & neat install.

G

Unregistered
N I C E Richard

$77 shipping, so how much did the 3 gauges lighten your wallet?

I think I'll mount in a similar fashion as I'm not keen on the idea of drillling mounts into the dash and A pillar gauges are defect magnets.

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
The total cost was $790 aussie dollars for the three gauges, backing plate and and controller, which is a lot more than I wanted to spend, but I couldn't find many gauges that I liked the look of. In Australia the prices ranged up to around $1150 for the same setup, crazy. The price from egauges worked out to be around the same price they are in japan.

G

Unregistered
rich thats really nice gauges u got there...

did you make a write up on how to install those gauges?

I am interested of getting something like u had there on my galant

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I don't really understand why the cops should care if you have additional gauges - so you want to keep your eye on water, oil and exhaust temps, boost and vacume pressure etc, so what? That shows someone who is paying more attention than the usual pillock!

I agree that a pillar-mounted 5" tacho with a bloody great big shift light is ASKING for trouble, but there are a LOT of gauges that would be really useful to have stock standard in most cars that you never see, so you can only add them as aftermarket parts...

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
I didn't fit the gauges myself,I got the local auto electrican to do it, they fitted the cd player as well. They said it took them a while because at least one of the fittings for a sensor had to be changed. I did at least fit the turbotech boost controller myself, 5 minutes hard work.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
So what ARE the most important gauges? I have Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio and what would the other most important be? Oil Temp is already on the dash really so would Oil Pressure be more important?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Air fuel gauges are generally not very accurate. I believe Exhaust Temp is a better indicator or running rich or lean. Don't quote me though.

Important gauges are:

Oil Pressure
Oil Temp
Water Temp
Boost.

The only gauges shown on the dash are Fuel, Speed, Revs, Water Temp.

You will find that the in dash water temp gauge is no where near as accurate as an aftermarket stepper driven unit.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the $60-100 afr gauges are completely useless. The $400-600 setup's are much better, but obviously they are rather expensive.

The Exhaust temp is useful, but you really need two of them in a Legnum.

G

Unregistered
With the Defi gauges eg: the boost gauge 52mm do they come with a mounting cup in the box or not?

Top Bottom