Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Hi Everyone,

I've had problems deciding how I am going to mount a Boost and A/F ratio gauge on my dash while trying to keep it looking as factory as possible. Then I came across this:

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BE-R2000

Does anyone know if this system or a similar system would hook up to our factory ECU's ? Sorry I am a bit of a novice when it comes to engine computers. I'm guessing ours is an OBD2 type...????

The MAP output would give the same readout a boost gauge would right ?

Does anyone else know of a similar system. I have a Pioneer AVHD6850DVD double din head unit, I would like to plug this or a similar unit into it. :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That is quite a cool idea however our car's don't properly adere to the OBD2 protocol, so I'm not sure if that will work or not.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
That is quite a cool idea however our car's don't properly adere to the OBD2 protocol, so I'm not sure if that will work or not.

I sent them an email about whether they know if it will work, but I expect they wont know as the car was not sold or imported to the US.

They are $297us. Of course requiring a Wideband O2 sensor and a MAP sensor on top of the price....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i noticed in that site that they have the openport 1.3 isn't the evoscan connector based on that?!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I want to do something similar with EvoScan and a carPC - doubt I'll get time for this before the end of the year, but should be a fun project once I get around to it ;)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Fak nash from the price you could probably get evoscan
http://www.limitless.co.nz/ < which news to me looks like a data logger which connects via usb to a PC and does what your after for only $US100?

Then buy an ASUS EEE-PC and just hook that up and hide it somewhere in the car. Full car PC then + the evoscan features.

I'm definitely going to do something similar when my car arrives. IT will probably end up being a crap laptop hidden somewhere. It's going to be gold.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Fak nash from the price you could probably get evoscan
http://www.limitless.co.nz/ < which news to me looks like a data logger which connects via usb to a PC and does what your after for only $US100?

Then buy an ASUS EEE-PC and just hook that up and hide it somewhere in the car. Full car PC then + the evoscan features.

I'm definitely going to do something similar when my car arrives. IT will probably end up being a crap laptop hidden somewhere. It's going to be gold.

Does the ASUS have a composite Video out ?

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum

Brad, I asked about that and their reply was:

Hi Craig.
Our products only communicate via the generic OBD2 messages. We don't have information on the proprietary Mitsubishi protocol.
Thanks!
Brockway Engineering

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Hmm not sure Nash, but i'm sure you could find a usb > composite for nix if that's the way you went. I suggested the eee pc because it is so small and only $500. But I bet you could find an old laptop cheaper than that. You don't need anything special to run XP.

Have the laptop connected to the screen and evoscan, have an 500GB external HDD attached to it, have it hooked into your sound system... and get a mini bluetooth KB / mouse combo which anyone in the car can you for it + a remote for the movie / tunes you have playing....

IMAGINE THE PIMPNESS \m/ \m/

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
If you have a screen in your car already and just wanted to monitor vitals with out heaps of gauges i reakon its great, I have an alpine deck that has several composite inputs, If i wanted all the gauges it would be what i would go for....

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Hmm not sure Nash, but i'm sure you could find a usb > composite for nix if that's the way you went. I suggested the eee pc because it is so small and only $500. But I bet you could find an old laptop cheaper than that. You don't need anything special to run XP.

Have the laptop connected to the screen and evoscan, have an 500GB external HDD attached to it, have it hooked into your sound system... and get a mini bluetooth KB / mouse combo which anyone in the car can you for it + a remote for the movie / tunes you have playing....

IMAGINE THE PIMPNESS \m/ \m/

Just purchased the EvoScan cable and software.

Hey Hugh what about the Eee Box B202 ?

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;1069155810;pid;6439;pt;1;pg;1;pa;2

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Just purchased the EvoScan cable and software.

Hey Hugh what about the Eee Box B202 ?

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;1069155810;pid;6439;pt;1;pg;1;pa;2

I'm sure it would do the job and the price is right. There is loads of stuff out there... just google car pc... it's just a little exxy is all (the car pc stuff).

The reason I would go an older laptop is that you could pick one up for about $200 if you look around and get one cheap because it doesn't matter if the screen doesn't work. They are already low power users... and a fair few have optical drives and AV video out as well to go.

I imagine mounting one in a light frame under neath the passenger or drivers seat and having it there permanently.

I'm getting carried away now D:

But you could easily have it doing GPS with whatever mapping s/w you wanted to, usb GPS receivers are cheap as chips.

Top Bottom