do it your self custom bodykit?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
well, on one of my ex cars, i did something bit crazy on it. i got a dumped from bar from a smas repairs (yes. the ones that they were going to throw away) and cut the bottom part and stuck it on to the front bar with bit of screws and fibre-glass. i painted it and it looked "not too too too bad". i know thw answer "No~ jono.. why are you being so silly for?" but does anyone think it would work on our cars? *quickly hides*

G

Unregistered
no it wont as the fibreglass will keep delamenating from the plastic and will always crack and flex,i tried it when i 1st got into making bodykits,now i dont eve ncut and paste to or from plastic as its a no no..buy a kit,its cheaper and way faster and better looking,see my trademe username i make kits ernz3 on trademe

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
A mate of mine put a WRX front bar onto his Corolla using fibreglass to modify it.... (Not including the side skirts and bar back which were modified with fibreglass too, but they actually fitted to start with)

Came up real schmick when he had finished and has been on over 12 months with no issues.

Took him 9 months of slowly working on it to get it done but.... So it IS possible, but IMO i would just take Quinton's advice ;)

EDIT - PM SiliconAngel, i think his front bar is modded

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Not quite - my original plastic front bar was damaged and repaired by a plastic welder, my replacement front bar is fibreglass and needed extensive work by the panel shop to prep it for painting (and it's still a long way from perfect).

I agree with Quinton - you can't mix fibreglass with plastic as they have different properties, so one will flex where the other won't, so they'll delaminate (separate) sooner or later in a vehicular application. You can attach plastic to plastic or fibreglass to fibreglass if the surfaces are prepped correctly, though.

G

Unregistered
that is so true SiliconAngel,i used to fix mine bout evry week due to lamination,it was even rivvited on but that didnt stop the flex from the vr4 wagon,although i powered into corners,save time money and hassle and rather get a kit made or even custom kit,my bonnets are almost done,and then starting on the 1 piece rear with undertray aswell for you high speed freeks...

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
that is so true SiliconAngel,i used to fix mine bout evry week due to lamination,it was even rivvited on but that didnt stop the flex from the vr4 wagon,although i powered into corners,save time money and hassle and rather get a kit made or even custom kit,my bonnets are almost done,and then starting on the 1 piece rear with undertray aswell for you high speed freeks...

Make a front lip like one of these, and i'll buy one :)

SBWRX06CGFL01.jpg

sti-lip2.jpg

lip%20spoiler.jpg

CuscofrontlipSTI3.jpg

This lip looks awesome:
Pic-140.jpg

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
lip%20spoiler.jpg

This sort of thing would be best, but you'll probably find its the front edge of a diffuser. I'd like to play around with some diffuser designs to find what works best with our cars...

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
lip%20spoiler.jpg

This sort of thing would be best, but you'll probably find its the front edge of a diffuser. I'd like to play around with some diffuser designs to find what works best with our cars...

When I had a Liberty, those exact style ones were available for a few hundred.. it was just a bit of plastic, not a full under diffuser kit :)

Top Bottom