Self revving while rolling

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Hey guys, started having a new problem today and can’t think of what it could be. I was trying to fix the lifter tick on the project car with the revving trick, worked for a while but after 5 minutes or so it came back. I decided to call it a day and drive it back into the shed. When I was rolling down hill in neutral it started revving by its self, up to 1500 and dropping back to 900 every 5 seconds or so. It does it everytime the car is rolling with either the clutch in or when in neutral but as soon as you stop moving it stops as well, some sort of sensor maybe? Really Appreciate the help

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
This issue is still here and I can not figure it out, can anyone help me? I’m wondering if it’s maybe a crank angle sensor or something

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Try adjusting the idle bypass screw. Disconnect the battery to reset the ecu and let it relearn the idle.
The stepper motor idle control on mitsubishis is notorious for getting "dead steps" in the range so itll try move out to increase idle onto a dead zone which does nothing so it moves further out which creates a big jump in rpm then itll immediately try reign it in by stepping forward to lower rpm. Again through the dead spot which makes it too low. And you get that cyclic rev up and down.
So if you adjust the manual air bleed screw you can move the steppers range of operation away from the dead spot.
Alternatively try a new idle stepper

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
I’ll give it a go tomorrow, cheers mate

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Have tried adjusting all of this to no change, I’m also getting some really bad rev hang. Could this be linked to the issue? If not do u know what I can do about it?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Did you disconnect the battery and get it to re-learn idle? If not try this first.

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Yes I’ve tried that, tried adjusting it 3 times, disconnected the battery for about an hour each time

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Is your car tuned?

Was it originally auto and been converted to manual?

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Not tuned that I know, I haven’t and the previous owner hasn’t had it done either. Manual from factory. I’ve noticed it gets worse the warmer it is. Just starting to warm up the revs alternate maybe every 4-5secs but then once it’s running temp it’s about ever 2-3 secs

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
So it's possessed! As stated above the most likely cause is the stepper IAC valve. The gasket used to seal them is quite thin and can drop when installing getting squashed.
You may also want to look at cleaning the 2 air passages that go into it from in front of the butterfly.
Use a decent rag to soak up the throttle body cleaner that flows down and out.
Have a good look at you're connector too, I did have 1 pin bend way back and have no idea how.
Ensure your TPS and MAF connections are good too.
If you've gone through the process of changing out your lifter's, double check you vacuum lines in case you missed one, you can run around in circles chasing faults if one of these is out.
Keep us posted?

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Ok so I’ve just gone and ordered a new idle stepper should be here in a couple weeks. I’ve checked all the other connections and they all seem fine, went over all the hoses and pipes, nothing I can see there. Could it be something with the wheel speed sensor? Or possibly the abs?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Only reason I can think of ABS or wheel speed having an effect on the engine idle would be via the auto trans if it was a PFL with traction control and something was malfunctioning there but in your first post you said "clutch" so i assume your car is manual

Tristan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tristan
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum pfl
Yeah it’s a manual, I just thought because it only happens when it’s rolling it must be something that’s sensing when it’s moving. Was just a thought

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
Does it do it if you unplug the MAF? When the MAF fails it becomes vibration sensitive so rolling may be enough to trigger it. If unplugging it clears the issue, see my thread somewhere on this fine forum on how to fix it, it's really quite easy. May be nothing like that, but just something really easy to try.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Being the MAF guru Tony, has anyone used an alternative to our $1000 unit? I had read somewhere a particular Evo model worked.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Theoretically, can use any mitsu maf, just need copy all the tables related to the maf/intake like size, smoothing tables, etc

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
@Baba Galant no, I'm no guru on the actual use of the units, I just worked out how to fix the common fault in the factory standard one since I had one fail and wanted to see why it failed. I thought I'd have to buy a new one until I found and fixed the fault so I just passed on the info to the forum so other members could save themselves quite a few dollars. In taking it apart I did see how it worked so that's all I know. @BCX will be correct that you would be able to modify the software tables in the ECU to accept many other types which just give a frequency output, you'd have to adapt the air temp sensor and the baro sensor tables to suit too since these items are contained in the same housing.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Just got my car back home,.died while driving on the freeway! No dash lights, no indicators but it cranks. Stereo, interior lights ok.
Checked fuses etc can't find what's wrong.
Was just coming in to the end off a freeway and managed to roll it to a non existent shoulder and bail. Not room to open to open the drivers door, got a good fast tow back home.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Power windows and indicators not working, no faults with fuses. Any chance it would be the ECU?

Top Bottom