Does anyone know anything about these KSROMs?

G

Unregistered
Never heard of it before. But I'm guessing all those sparkles means it's brand new? :D

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Have you had any experience with them? Obviously they'd be no comparison to a properly tuned Haltech E8 or Interceptor, but it could be a nice cheap alternative to people who don't want/can't spend that much money.

G

Unregistered
I wouldn't get one ... Its similar to a MINES ECU ... I think u can contact them and they slightly modify them ... but they are still pricey and u can't tune them ... Any aftermarket ECU should be tuned specifically to your car, as all cars are slightly different, plus u might want to change your intake or exhaust. Prolly better of with a SAFC and EBC ...

G

Unregistered
Isnt it better to get an ksrom or an mines ecu and then adjust it with an safc for your contrys fuel, then buy an s-afc and adjust the standard ecu with the safc?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Oh I know it's better to custom tune a car to your mods. I was just curious as to what it was mainly.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I think it would only be any good if it had a socketed main processor which could be taken out and replaced by a custom written EPROM from someplace like Chiptorque. Yes and I do know that they don't do VR4's yet.

G

Unregistered
i would not touch it, if this is like a reflashed ECU, stay away

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Cool, cheers fellas. Just good to know in case other people might get tempted. I'm saving for an E8 anyway :D

G

Unregistered
I think from memory its an exchange where u send your ecu and they send you a whole new ECU, that way its cheaper ... but still its not tuned for YOUR car.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I think the biggest problem is they'll be tuned for the higher octane jap fuels....the the much lower octane stuff we get here.

G

Unregistered
ok here is how it works on the auction

first off they advise you to change your spark plugs/clutch whenever you get the rom tuned/exchanged.there's a long read on the importance of engine upkeep when you do the ecu upgrade. also mentioned that even though the turbo's are small, the 6A13 is a fairly good engine blah blah balh so there's a lot of extra power that can be extracted with a good tune.

ok
-- you pretty much send in your ecu
-- tell them your list or future list of mods
-- they might call and ask you a few more questions about your mods and whatnot
-- two days later, you get an ECU in the mail (along with 3 pages of japanese and chinese characters that i dont understand) and YOU WILL notice the difference in acceleration. its not the difference you force yourself to feel just because you did an upgrade and dont want to be disappointed, the difference will hit you. i'm not sure about top end power since i never got there but cant expect much with those small turbos.
-- im sure they just switch out the rom in your ecu or send you one already tuned and keep your original
-- the tune you get for 30000yen on the auction is limited, i forgot to what exactly but they also do more advanced tunes that you can get at a higher price
-- for the lucky ones, they also tune to 6A13s equipped with TD04s

its no $1500 ECU + tuning costs but bottomline yes it works and for 30000yen, its a decent mod that i think everyone should try if they can afford it. i mean come on, some member's HID kits cost more than that.

i'm not trying to sell anyone on ksrom since im not affiliated in any way but i have one of the basic auction tuned ECU and even with my dead fto clutch, i could fell the difference. with the lack of aftermarket parts/options for the 6A13, one shouldnt complain.

G

Unregistered
So how much does it cost in Aussie dollars delivered ? As someone mentioned earlier, that would be tuned for 100 octane fuel right ? I would be keen to try one of these, but only if I could keep my original ECU.
I actually emailed MINES last night to enquire on the MINES ECU, just to find out wat fuel ratios and boost they run. I still don't think its an ideal option, but could be a little fun ...

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I have a spare ECU I might be willing to send over.. Couldn't we just ask them to tune it for 95ron fuel?

G

Unregistered
sorry man, check one of those exchange rate websites for conversion. i know its $300US considering the rate is now like 1US to 100yen. there is also shipping and return shipping in japan, add another 15US.

they never wrote anything about octance levels so i dont know but when you think about octance levels, arent even the stock ecu's of imports tuned to the octance level of the country of origin? as expensive as gas is, i dont think 100 octance is the standard being pumped as gas stations across japan. how about some octane booster?

if anyone got an ecu laying around and want to try it out, let me know

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
They have multiple fuel maps, so it surely couldn't be hard to tune specifically for our (poor quality) local fuel.. could it?

G

Unregistered
Not bad price to test out ... u would have to be pretty certain u weren't going to do too many mods ...
I'd be happy to try it in a month or two.

G

Unregistered
i cant speak for them but IMO i dont think it would make that much of a difference. japan does not run on standard 100 octance so they wouldnt tune the general auction ROM for that level unless requested. japan uses 96ron as standard so im guessing it will be tuned to something around that level

Not bad price to test out ... u would have to be pretty certain u weren't going to do too many mods ...
I'd be happy to try it in a month or two.

thats why i said "future mods." one of my "future mods" when i got mine was a heavy duty clutch. well, its still a future mod.

Top Bottom