Doing TC Seal next week - Questions

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
I'm going to do my torque converter seal next week and have a couple of questions. 1 How do I unbolt the torque converter so it comes out with the box. I know you go through the little peep hole to access it but what is the best way to turn it to get to the next bolt.
2. How do I remove the drive shafts. I read you use a pry bar on the gearbox side to push it up or something. Can anyone explain this in some detail.
If there are anymore tricks or tips I should know please hit me with them.
I'm getting worried about this one so I've got a huge swear jar ready some band aids and the phone number for the mobile mechanic.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Lol.... Speak to Mitch and Rhys, they took one out on the w/e :)

G

Unregistered
to undo the torque converter, you need to undo the 4 17mm 6 sided bolts holding it onto the flex plate. (i'd advise you use a 6 sided socket, but its not crucial if you are careful)

to rotate the flex plate, you need to pop off the little plastic tab in the drivers side wheel liner, to give you access to the harmonic balancer.
the centre bolt of the harmonic balancer will take the square 1/2" drive of a socket/breaker bar, and you rotate the crank/flex plate by turning that.

to pop the shafts out, the passenger side one is quite easy, use the crowbar on the CV joint stuck in the side of the box, and pry it from the bottom of the box (it will probably take a good few solid hits to get it out)

the drivers side one is a bit harder, you use the same method, however there isn't anything below the CV to push off from, so you'll need a decent sized piece of wood or something similar to rest on the transfer case and push off of that (again a few solid whacks)

other than that there is no real tips i can think of off the top of my head, other than practice makes perfect (i've done it 4 times now and we had rhys' box out in a matter of hours :p)

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Thanks for that Mitch, doesn't sound to hard. You should have a holiday on the Gold Coast next week and while your here pop in and give me a hand.

Top Bottom