Doing torque converter seal...

G

Unregistered
Hey guys,

As the topic states, I'm gonna do the torque converter seal this w/e. I should have done it ages ago but I been lazy.

Just wondering from people that have done it, what seals typically need replacing? I'm going to do the tc seal (obviously) and rear main seal while i'm at it, any other things you guys recommend?

Cheers,
Ant

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That is normally it, just make sure you have engine, gearbox and transfer case oil about before you start, as well as a shed load of tools

G

Unregistered
Cool I'll buy a shit load of oil this week and I have my cousins workshop @ my disposal :bigsmile: So tools shouldn't be an issue... hoist ftw!

Just the two seals it is then :)

G

Unregistered
Just to confirm...

RM: MD359158

TC: AW344852

Yeah?

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
Hey Ant,

Been there done that. If you have time sign up to ClubVR4 in the UK. There is a good how to remove the gearbox.

It's out for all of maybe half hour before you start putting it all back together.

Yeah, hoist is very handy. As is a gearbox holder/stand. Oh... and air tools as well. Oh... and lot's of time up your sleeve. We took it out on a Saturday night, went to sleep then fixed it Sunday morn in daylight and put it back together Sunday. Have a look at your steering boots while you are there and maybe replace those while you are under there. I had to do the driver's side over easter. Was about $13 from Repco for a Universal one for a Mitsi (HJ Galant reference).

Cheers

Scott

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ant talk to Tom (TomTom) - his leaking gearbox turned out to be a different seal altogether. He was saying that there are two other seals in addition to the torque-converter seal in the auto box that can cause leakage, and as they're only a couple of dollars each its probably worth doing those too.

Good luck mate! :)

G

Unregistered
Anyways FYI.. did it... and do not want to do again :p HAHA! Oh well atleast its done.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha at least its done! I assume it was relatively straight-forward then?

So is that your car back on the road again now??

Top Bottom