E85

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
After seeing Jim's LPG conversion I have been wondering about alternate fuels. I hear of people tuning their cars to take E85 but I have seen very little discussion about it on this forum.

Here are the few things that I would like to know about E85

Is it more efficient? Would you see more KM's per tank?
Will it provide more power? Could you crack 220awkw with it?
What other mods are required to get this working? I know you need larger injectors and pump to get this working but how big will a 6a13 need?
Can you run both e85 and ULP98 with switchable maps?
What petrol brands supply E85? I notice BP don't offer anything of the sort.

I know most of this stuff will come down to your tuner so my ultimate question is will it be worth it?

Please post up any knowledge you have or any experiences be it 1st or 2nd hand.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
E85 contains approximately 1/3 less energy than 98RON, you need to use more of it.
Economy isn't the strong point, price and power gains are. Cooler burn temps allow more advance and help ward off pre-ignition. There's a boat load of good info out on the intertoobs about E85 and injector size selection.

Yes, switchable maps is possible. Or is in the works and most likely near completion.

wil

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wil
Drive
99 Leggy
Bigger injectors and fuel pump. you won't see more kms per tank, it's less. E85 burns more hence you need the bigger injectors and pump.
You can gain about 20 - 30 kw - depending on how much boost you run.
It's located at various caltex and united fuel stations only. I know the evo 7 ecu's can run dual maps, not sure about the legnum.

I am running meth in the evo, it only kicks in on boost. The gains are abit less than E85.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
As the Asian guy just said. It is a less dense fuel so you need more of it.

You won't necessarily make more power just using it, but it actually allows you to make more power with the same supporting mods over ULP. It's higher octane will allow you to run your timing further advanced than ULP.

Hope that makes some sense.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
EDIT:mostly covered above

You go through a lot more of it as there isnt as much energy in each litre as traditonional fuel but it is cheaper (at the moment), about 30% more and its only 10-15% cheaper. Caltex sells E85 i think at limited stations nationally, as well as liberty (? locally in SA i think)

The main reason to upgrade is for more power, a lot of racecars use it. Im thinking about it but need to get evverything else working properly first :p

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
According to this site you need injectors to be ~48% larger than your standard injectors. This page also answered a few of my questions but has spawned another one.
If you can up the boost due to the benefits of E85 but our turbos lose their efficiency up around 18-20psi then would that make E85 redundant on stock turbos?
The performance margin would be less and less the more you up to boost correct?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Keep the boost the same but advance timing. That gives you the power.

Where normally the higher the boost you run, the more you have to retard ignition.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
E85 is something i will ultimately run in my car for track days etc. pretty much what the others said. usually about 4 or 5 degrees more advance so probably around 15-20kw gain. but its a fair outlay.

Switchable maps are possible now, just a few bugs being sorted....

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Still having issues with the boost control Steve? Were there any other issues you came across? I am pretty keen to get it released so I can start on something else :)

The ideal use for E85 would be on standard turbos after increasing static compression. It would totally transform a VR-4.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Don't forget you would have to change all of your fuel lines to SS as ethanol will eat through any rubber pretty quickly.

WinfieldBlue

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ceaser
Drive
galant
Shit I put ethanol into mine yesterday due to the servo was out of premium, I hope nothing happens...

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Yes like everyone said you will need to change the fuel pump, install much bigger injectors and fuel lines for the long run. I have seen many cars tuned on E85 with power increas of +30-60KW.

The only downside is there are only 2 or 3 servos that stock E85 in Victoria and the fuel isn't always consistent. so buying it in big drums is the way to go. Also cos you go through heaps more fuel you will need to carry at least 3-4 jerry cans in your boot, cos if you run dry you will need a tow home.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Still having issues with the boost control Steve? Were there any other issues you came across? I am pretty keen to get it released so I can start on something else :)

The ideal use for E85 would be on standard turbos after increasing static compression. It would totally transform a VR-4.

yep still the same on that 5th boost map. i havent looked at it since we last spoke....

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
According to this site you need injectors to be ~48% larger than your standard injectors.

BINGO! 30% is a number touted around and generally is correct but you can't just go 30% larger and hope it works. I know of a supercharged 350Z running E85 and it needed 50% larger so make sure your selections are correct.:cool:

Top Bottom