EC3W Compliance

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yep, the ultimate upgrade, 1000rpm later turbo spool due to the smaller capacity, less smooth because it is an i4 rather than a v6 and longer so it is harder to work on for cambelts and things.

For what? A $5000 plus conversion price, and 20kg less weight? One of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of.

The chosen one has spoken.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Because the idea is different it means it is shit canned?
Aftermarket parts are in abundance for Evo's not only new but 2nd hand. It would need to make a fair amount of torque to get the fat ass Legnum moving.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Not because it is different, because it is worse.

Your EVO 8 is 1410kg, a manual Galant is 1480kg which isn't really that different.

Sure EVO parts are easily available, but they are very expensive. It is a bit of a pain to get stuff custom made for a VR-4 especially for bigger turbos but even then it is in the same sort of ball park as a premade EVO turbo upgrade. It may cost a bit more to get 6 forged rods and pistons made instead of just 4 and you'll need two turbos, say GT2554R's at $1200 each instead of a single GT35R for $2200 or whatever, but that will not outweigh the $5000 or so it would cost to put a stupid 4 cylinder engine into a VR-4

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
Not because it is different, because it is worse.

put a stupid 4 cylinder engine into a VR-4

Surely you're not forgetting the fact that VR-4's started off with 4G63's?

I know you are passionate about these cars but jeez- talk about raining on the parade?

If 6A13's are so good- then why aren't EVO owners upgrading?

I don't want to see this thread turn into a "this is better than that" battle! Just looking at doing something different when I eventually get into a Legnum, that's all.....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
It is too much work to do a swap into an EVO, thats why noone does it.

VR-4's did start with 4 cylinder engines, then they evolved :)

GSRSOL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
CD5A/CE9A Hybird
If the legnums were powered by a 4G63T or 4G64T instead of this 6A13TT business, Id already have one sitting in my garage :p

Yep, the ultimate upgrade, 1000rpm later turbo spool due to the smaller capacity, less smooth because it is an i4 rather than a v6 and longer so it is harder to work on for cambelts and things.

For what? A $5000 plus conversion price, and 20kg less weight? One of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of.

You simply cannot argue the benefits of the 6A13 from a maintenance point of view when comparing to a 4G63.

And if it was done like CLuTZ has said (4G64 block, 4G63 head), standard capacity for that is 2.4L. That can be taken out to 2.6L. I'm pretty sure with a standard 4G64 the deficit of .1L with the right turbo selection would net you similar if not better results than if you went nuts with the V6.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
In an 8G, and most likely an EVO too, the 4G engine is longer than the 6A engine which does mean there is less room to do a cambelt or water pump change. Granted the job might be slightly simpler on a 4G, but I'd prefer a bit more room :)

A 4G64 can be stroked out a bit as well too, but that is going to end up costing a heap of money as well.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I'd just like to ask - how many off the shelf bolt on turbo upgrades are available for a 6a13? How many off the shelf bolt on upgraded cams are available for a 6a13? Etc etc ad infinitum.

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
The cam belt will be done before the engine goes in....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Cams aren't a problem, Kelford cams down in Christchurch will make a set up without any problems at all.

Turbo upgrades simply don't exist, but it will still be cheaper to install new turbo's on a VR-4 than to install an EVO engine into a VR-4.

Top Bottom