Engine knocks bad rebuild or swap?

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Hello so today my car decided it was going to play some knock knock jokes on me so I am curious if there are any rebuild kits? Or if anybody is selling a engine and is willing to ship to calgary alberta canada.

Any help would be great thanks!

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
There is plenty of information regarding rebuilds on this forum, do some searching.

Only one size OEM bearing is available now, learn from my mistakes and get the tunnel etc machined to suit what is available.

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
I was doing some digging around. I've never rebuilt a engine before so wasn't to sure how and where to start. My plan was to pull the motor in the next couple of wheels and do the tear down. Just not to sure if it's worth building or if it would be just easier to source a motor and swap. For me it's about 4k to get a motor to me.
There is plenty of information regarding rebuilds on this forum, do some searching.

Only one size OEM bearing is available now, learn from my mistakes and get the tunnel etc machined to suit what is available.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
If you haven't built an engine before I suggest paying a professional. It's all to easy to end in tears if you don't get it right and because there isn't a supply of spares in your area just do it once and do it right.
If it was a common engine in your area by all means give it a go cos if it goes wrong it's easy to buy another for cheap

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
If you haven't built an engine before I suggest paying a professional. It's all to easy to end in tears if you don't get it right and because there isn't a supply of spares in your area just do it once and do it right.
If it was a common engine in your area by all means give it a go cos if it goes wrong it's easy to buy another for cheap
You are describing exactly my case! Although the engine was not as cheap as I had hoped, still a lot cheaper than 4k...

@Heatmakerz the engine manual is readily available, it details everything you need to know regards OEM bearings.

I made a spreadsheet to select OEM bearings based on measurements here: https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/crankshaft-tolerance-bearing-selector-spreadsheet.17337/

It is a bit redundant though given the full bearing range is no longer available..

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Okay thank you for your info. That helps with my decision. I would prefer to rebuild because what if I get another motor and then the same thing happends.
You are describing exactly my case! Although the engine was not as cheap as I had hoped, still a lot cheaper than 4k...

@Heatmakerz the engine manual is readily available, it details everything you need to know regards OEM bearings.

I made a spreadsheet to select OEM bearings based on measurements here: https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/crankshaft-tolerance-bearing-selector-spreadsheet.17337/

It is a bit redundant though given the full bearing range is no longer available..

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Okay thank you for your info. That helps with my decision. I would prefer to rebuild because what if I get another motor and then the same thing happends.

Just make sure you find a competent machinist to machine everything per your bearings etc. It will be well above 4k.

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Th
Just make sure you find a competent machinist to machine everything per your bearings etc. It will be well above 4k.
Thanks for the help and info, still weighting out my options. It's about 4k for a used motor and that's from projectvr4 not to sure if there any good haven't really seen any good things for them.

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Haha your better off flushing your money down the toilet than giving it to projectvr4. He's banned from here because of the ammount of people he's ripped off
Oh really well thanks for letting me know I didn't know I was talking to him about getting a motor shipped to me.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Oh really well thanks for letting me know I didn't know I was talking to him about getting a motor shipped to me.
He is a known scammer. Some people have success, but I personally would not trust a motor he provides.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Your best option is to rebuild what you have. If it needs a crank or rods I could probably source one and ship them.
That way you know you have a good motor vs some 2nd hand lucky dip lottery motor that's done god knows how many kms.

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Your best option is to rebuild what you have. If it needs a crank or rods I could probably source one and ship them.
That way you know you have a good motor vs some 2nd hand lucky dip lottery motor that's done god knows how many kms.
I think that is going to be my choice I'm going to tow the car to my shop in the next week or so and see what exactly is wrong with the motor and I will keep you guys updated I appreciate the help! The would be awsome if you could help with stuff like that! I can pay for your time aswell!

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Doesn't look horrible, if you had knock you should be checking the bearings, can you physically "knock" any of the rods?

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Doesn't look horrible, if you had knock you should be checking the bearings, can you physically "knock" any of the rods?
It's definitely not at bad as it sounds I think? It spun a bearing almost 2 bearings, the heads look fine to me! Not to sure what my next step would be from here!

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
The next step is get everything properly machined per the components you order (bearings etc.).

Top Bottom