Engine temps

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
Out of curiosity does anyone know what temp ideally the engine should be running at? I just installed a water temp sensor and it sits at 84 degrees when cruising along the highway but sitting on traffic it gets up to 92 degrees. Gonna start looking at cooling options, not just a different radiator. A vented bonnet and space the rear up 10mm or something

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Those temps are fine. Stock thermostat opening point is 82° and I'd expect to see that temp stationary.
Thicker alloy rads make a bit of a difference I hear.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Your temps are normal. I have a copper/alloy rad as well as a vented hood and temps are similar. My temps range from 82-89 in typical traffic. I also have a fan controller that kicks in around 88C for the first fan and 92C for the second.

Where you will notice a difference though is on the dyno, on the track and whenever the car gets a workout. I would expect on the factory radiator temps to rise to 100 quite easily when under a fair load.

edit: I have a 77C thermostat too!

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Don't stress my wrangler sits on 99 in traffic and 97 on the highway.
My galant gets hot on Mt Nebo/Tamborine runs, but it doesn't anywhere else.

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
Well that's good to know. I'd still like to vent the excess heat off the engine and im going to reflective wrap all my intercooler pipes too

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
coolant. unsure of oil temp at this stage

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
My temps frequently seem to hover around the fully open temp rating for the factory thermostat, is this what others see?

MOR31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
john
Drive
lancer
My water sits about 90 but after a good 30min thrash at qr sits at 100 but drops quick when I pull off into the pits. Gets up there in traffic easy also. Oil sits 85ish most of the time. But keep in mind this is an a cramped engine bay

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
You want about 90 degrees unscaled in evoscan minimum. So that's really 82. Another 10 on that is fine

king 113

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Atiba
Drive
Mitsubishi Galant vr 4
I'm from the tropics my temp runs at 210-230 farenheit... With my Ac on it drops to 200 farenheit..is something wrong.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
I'm from the tropics my temp runs at 210-230 farenheit... With my Ac on it drops to 200 farenheit..is something wrong.
Are you talking about water or oil? If you are talking about water then probably a bit high, not alarming though.

It will be dropping with AC on due to the thermo fans being on.

Top Bottom