Evo as a daily

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
They are rough and noisey, Fuel economy no worse than a vr4, But handle like a dream real drivers car. Feels like your driving a limo once you step back into the vr4 heaps more comfortable but the handling feels like a big car in comparison. Takes a lil longer to boost with the evo but sits you back even harder once it comes on boost.

Having just now stepped out of my "6" I've got to agree with everything Steve says here except the boost. The boost on my "6" is almost immediate, that might have more to do with the Ralliart maps and anti-lag being active. Also the fuel consumption is a little better, using the same driving style, than my auto VR4.

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
Yeah that's his haha, he used to live around the corner from me.. Pretty sure he's moved out, so he isn't around as often anymore! Actually, haven't heard from him in a while come to think of it!
quote]

Really!!! Then you'd know a girl who owns a red magna with "red-***" number plates too.. crazy

Spent all day at the car yards today as i got my fulls and gearbox on the galant died.. so im looking for a new daily too.. not an evo though.. mayb one day :)

Car salesmen are the worst...

you interested in wrx's at all?? good friend of mine owns the 2009 one... real smooth and no stereo type wrx noise...

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Tom.

Having driven and ridden in many Evo's, IMO, they are not as good a daily as a VR-4, if judged against commonly accepted notions of what a good daily driver is. The Evo 6's in particular seem hardcore.

Of course, someone will say "but for some people, Evo's are better daily drivers" and that kind of statement cannot be rationally debated. Yes, some people like Lotus Elises and Honda Type R's as daily drivers, but based on the things that you've stated that you like in a daily driver and the kind of conditions that you will drive it in, I'm betting that you will like an Evo less than a VR4 for daily driving duties.

The bottom line is that an Evo is harder, noisier, bumpier, harsher, less luxury etc than a VR-4.

However, I suggest that the best thing to do is to try and go for a drive in the Evo you're thinking of getting in conditions similar to your daily drive. That way, you'll find out pretty quickly whether it's the kind of car that you want to drive every day.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I also forgot to mention - as someone else has stated, there's a lengthy (and heated!) debate in the "Why are we selling our VR-4's?" thread on the merits of an Evo as a daily driver.

For your convenience, I copy here what some reviewers have expressed in regards to driving an Evo in every day, real world conditions:

"There's no other car on the road that costs even one-quarter of this purchase price that is noisier or has worse vibration fed through the pedals and steering wheel."

"The caveat is that an Evo IX is not a particularly comfortable car around town. Bumps show up as ride harshness and anything other than a completely smooth surface will send a body-jar through the cabin. As a day-to-day proposition, the Evo IX is suitable only for the most committed devotees of masochism."

"Excessive noise and crap ride could well drive you insane. Far too hard core for most."

"it's a fantastic car for an automotive journalist to have for a week - but what about for an owner? On city streets the gearbox whines shrilly, the ride bounces the occupants around the cabin. The short ratios means that gearchanges are needed frequently"

"Not for everyone. In fact, not for many people at all. Noisy, rough riding and only offered as a manual, the Evo IX is far too hard core for most people’s tastes."

"It thumps disconcertingly into bumps and jiggles uncomfortably on streets, generally making city trips a chore. There's also a cacophony of noises; tyre roar from coarse bitumen surfaces, whine from the drivetrain and the shriek of the engine."

"But it's the sort of car you would be hard pressed to live with day-to-day, due to a firm ride, basic interior and a banshee-like motor engineered for motorsport rather than everyday driving."

"Go a bit faster - a freeway for example - and the ride remains appalling. Nope, this isn't a car where the high-speed ride becomes absorbent and forgiving. To get anything like an acceptable ride you need to pack four people into the cabin, and then the performance and response are well down."

"On all surfaces the tyre noise is enormous; on some concrete roads with tiny transverse corrugations the whole body can become excited, the resonant booms and howls filling the cabin in a deafening cacophony. Any gravel on the road can be heard machine gunning the inside of the wheel arches, while engine noise is a constant drone - add to that the tyre wail, and you're looking at a car that can give you ringing ears after only a few hours behind the wheel."

"Not one person who steered our test car had anything less than extreme praise for its performance and handling; but equally not one of those people wanted the car in their garage - and some could have well afforded it..."

"As an all-round road car, the Lancer Evolution (usually called the Evo X) is severely flawed."

"The Lancer Evo simply can’t do the things a well-rounded, high performance sporting road car should be able to. A pitifully small boot – literally tighter than many small hatchbacks – and no spare wheel at all (that’s right – none, just a puncture repair kit) make touring in the Evo pretty well an impossibility."

"But as a sporting car to drive in normal road conditions, it’s a poor machine"

“The car feels great through corners but in normal driving I find the tyre noise unbearable – it’s mainly when slowing down. And the turning circle is huge. When it hits full lock I expect there to be another turn of the wheel."

“Geez, the gearbox feels notchy and the handbrake lever comes up way too far. There’s also a lot of noise from gearbox or the tyres. It’s shocking."

"The lack of subtlety is reinforced in the first few kilometres of city driving. The ride is harsh and unforgiving on less than perfect roads and our test car had some annoying rattles. There was also quite a bit of tyre and suspension noise and vibration in the cabin."

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Well geeze, I dont know whats wrong with me, but I think my evo9 was a fine daily drive until I put the coil-overs in it. Now, yes, its to hard, but thats just because the damm springs are to firm.
With the stock struts, I, and my wife thought it was fine. We drove it from Renmark to Sydney, 12 hours, two hours swap-over. No sore arse or back! We cant go 2 hours in the wifes Outback and not have a sore arse.
Work drive is 80km to Wooloomooloo, so it sees plenty of slow driving and its much better than my R33 (at everything). With the usual fuel tuning ie eliminate AFRs richer than 10.5:1 its not a guzzler (and neither would the VR4 with similar tuning).
My only real gripe is i cant tow my boat with it as there seems to be no-way to fit a towbar, oh well, use the Outback.

edit:
Anyone want to swap a Leggnum for an R33 so I can tow?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
hahaha i was about to write " Dont let that Bruce guy find this thread ". Tooooo late. We can only hope no-one challenges him this time.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Lol! All good boys. I love a good, logical and rational debate!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
A lot of people have prob modded their VR4 to beyond what some people are calling a "daily" anyway.

I used to drive my Datto 1600 that was as loud as a plane, with race seats, harnesses, a petrol leak and no heater/demister in winter with the windows down. I had to wear gloves and a jacket. I drove that for 3 years, it was my "daily"

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I used to drive my Datto 1600 that was as loud as a plane, with race seats, harnesses, a petrol leak and no heater/demister in winter with the windows down. I had to wear gloves and a jacket.

Hahaha I read that quickly and pictured you zooming down the road in a WWI bomber jacket with goggles and scarf and stuff lol

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Really!!! Then you'd know a girl who owns a red magna with "red-***" number plates too.. crazy

Spent all day at the car yards today as i got my fulls and gearbox on the galant died.. so im looking for a new daily too.. not an evo though.. mayb one day :)

Car salesmen are the worst...

you interested in wrx's at all?? good friend of mine owns the 2009 one... real smooth and no stereo type wrx noise...

I think my sister knows her, if she is who we think she is, then I went to school with her brother? I see her drive passed all the time, but don't know if I actually know her.. She waved once, maybe she knows OF me? :p

I don't like the new WRXs.. I don't know if you've noticed a metallic blue Liberty rolling around the suburbs with an STI badge on the back?

That's my mate, he pulled off EVERYTHING on that car in the front lawn of his old house, and put a Jap-Spec MY04 STI WRX motor in it with everything else that goes with the job :) Thing flies!

Anyway, he is thinking of selling it (along with one or two of his other Libertys outside his house) and getting a standard 2009 WRX Hatch

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
And Tom, in response to your questions:
1) VR4 is quicker 0-100kph due to GT being slightly more laggy (larger single will do that)
2) GT is much more nible feeling car - seems far easier to drive in the twisty's
3) GT is more refined, but you would expect that of a car almost 8-10 years newer
4) All MY05+GT's and all 3.0RB's have leather. It was only the early MY04) that had a non leather option

Awesome :)

I had a 2004 Liberty 2.5i.. It felt so good, I sold it to buy the VR4.. I miss how the Subaru felt! I put King Lows on it and it handled so well, would fly through many corners and not break traction at all.. sigh I miss that car!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Thanks Bruce and Merlin, and everyone else for replies too :)

Always like seeing everyones input on these things! Keep em coming!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Yep, in the 35-40k price range given that you want a comfy cruiser with some good poke and a nice handling, I can't see any better value than the Liberty GT Sedans - and the STi just has that added bonus of Brembo's and forged STi wheels ;)

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Yep, in the 35-40k price range given that you want a comfy cruiser with some good poke and a nice handling, I can't see any better value than the Liberty GT Sedans - and the STi just has that added bonus of Brembo's and forged STi wheels ;)
Comfy? Bilsteins?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Bilsteins with either stock springs or even some after market Swift-Sport or Eibach springs will be more comfortable than most jap-coilovers - which is the comparison I was making given the posts before.

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
I've been in a MY05 GT with revalved Bilsteins taken from a 3.0R-B + custom springs and the ride on that was FAR firmer than a MY02 Liberty RX I've driven with Cusco Zero coilovers.

Top Bottom