Evodroid or alternate still available? - Just want stats in a GUI, NOT reflashing

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
Righto - will go pull it apart now and let you know what I find - Any idea on the chipset number etc in the cable or will it says FTDI on the IC @BCX ? I've tried different drivers etc on both the tablet and on my home PC to get it to find it, but Neither my PC nor tablet will see it. will let you know soon what i find...

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
OK - Cable I'm using is the wrong one I think.

I've gotten the FTDI drivers, and installed them manually, and it allowed me to choose openport 1.3U or 1.3M drivers. So the driver side of it is all good.

Cable is showing a CH340T and LM339 chip on the board. the LM339 is an amplifier i believe, and the CH340T is the chipset for communications - which is the wrong one - again, will need some confirmation from someone more knowledgable with this stuff than I am.

Even the board and layout looks very different to the one originally posted in the forums on how to mod the cable - so I'm guessing its wrong.

Is anyone who has evoscan running and working on a cable able to open their cable, and let me know the chipset etc on their cable to clear that up??

I think the KKL part of the cable is what is screwing the pooch on this. as it appears this is a later model cable than the first batch, as my cable has:

"KKL VAG-COM for 409.1" written on the bottom and VAG KKL written on the other side.

Any pics of confirmations from a working cable would be greatly appreciated?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Post a hi res photo of the board.

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
main board - nothing on bottom side of board. all surface mount hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_1292-1.JPG
    IMG_1292-1.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 9

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Yeah, your main chipset isn't a FTDI. The Openport 1.3 was based off a FTDI usb-to-RS232 (like a ft232r). LM339 looks like a jelly bean op amp, would be acting as a buffer.

Other problem with FTDI chips, theres heaps of clones/copies of the chip... the FTDI (newer) driver actually bricks devices that arent legit. i suspect most of the cables use a clone ft232. So use the ftdi driver from evoscan when installing it, rather than using the latest driver from FTDI. http://www.zdnet.com/article/ftdi-admits-to-bricking-innocent-users-chips-in-silent-update/ if you want to know more about that.

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
Do you know if Hamish from Evoscan is around anymore? I'm at the point of buying on from him @ $149 a pop, just to get it working, but I'm not sending money if they've gone out of business... No responses from them via email, but did let me purchase Evoscan via their automated system..

Top Bottom