facelift styling vs pre-facelift styling

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
when i first came on here i was all about the facelift models, but as ive looked and looked and looked im starting to like the front of the pre-facelift more and more, i also really like the intergrated rear wing on the pre-facelifts. the tailight assembley on the facelifts will always look better but.

what do you guys like?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Who cares what we like, it's what you like that matters :ROFLMAO:

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I'm aiming for a hybrid by getting some facelift sideskirts and flares on my PFL, along with super VR-4 carnards. Have no idea if it will look any good - I'll just have to wait and see :)

But in general, the facelifts look more aggressive (especially the Type-S). But I agree with you that the PFL rear wing is much cooler :)

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
just trying to spark up some legnum related chatter ;)

nothing wrong with putting an opinion out there.. why be negative to posts... isnt this a community after all?

Ryan, I have a prefacelift but i prefer the front bar of the face lift but like the back of the pre facelift better

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I'm aiming for a hybrid by getting some facelift sideskirts and flares on my Series 1, along with super VR-4 carnards. Have no idea if it will look any good - I'll just have to wait and see :)

But in general, the facelifts look more aggressive (especially the Type-S). But I agree with you that the Series 1 rear wing is much cooler :)

That will look hot Lee!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I prefer PFL fronts by far. The FL bumpers (all IMHO, of course) stick out too far and are just too bulky. The PFL look is nice and clean and sleek.

The FLs still look awesome, don't get me wrong, just my preference is with the PFL. :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I don't think anyone was being negative there Brent - Simon was just saying what each of us likes for ourselves is more important than what someone else thinks is good.

IMO the FL all-the-way - I think the front end is far more refined and current, the PFL looks dated, front and back. I definitely prefer the wing on the FL, while the super's wing was WAY over the top. And the FL legnum tail lamps look dated and boxy, while the FL looks current and is about the best looking wagon tailgate I've ever seen. If only they could have done the same with the Galant...

And in case you didn't pick up on it, all of the above is just MY OPINION. It doesn't mean I don't like anyone's car - in comparison with just about any other car on the road, VR4's are ALL freaken awesome. But ask me to take my nit-picking comb out to compare the two? Sure, I'll find differences I prefer.

But as Simon said (that's really never going to get old, is it? *chuckles*), its more important what YOU like. I couldn't give two frigs what other people think of my car - I love it, I think its 100% awesome and while it's cool I've found a bunch of great guys who share a similar interest, if none of you existed I'd STILL be obsessing over the damn thing!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I like either one.. reason I changed my front end was just to be unique.. well as far as I know I'm the only PFL with FL in Finess Green.. I don't think I ever saw a Finess green in FL, as in factory..

for the tail lamps in galants, i like how the FL is more like a glass type cover... and the PFL, i like how its simple but with 4 brake bulbs in there..

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Love the rear lights on the PFL, how they slant inwards towards the center of the car. Also like not having the glass across between the lights.
But I think the FL looked more modern for late 90's early 00's, even would look totally new if it was released in Australia today imo.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Thats what I like about facelifts too, they look a lot more modern overall whereas PFL's look more like mid 90's cars.

Don't forget there are other important facelift features such as compatibility with EVO Brembo's, wheel arches which let you get wider wheels and tyres on the car, optional Recaro's and Momo wheel (well Super's had that too to be fair) and had 280hp in auto's as well.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
The facelift rear looks much better in the metal (and plastic) than it does in photos. I do like it, but I also think it looks a bit too much like the contemporary Subaru Liberty/Legacy of the time. Or is that the other way round maybe - the Legnum is the way it's supposed to look, the Subaru is a bad copy lol

I actually like the rear ends equally - they're different enough that they're both interesting.

I like the single foglights with the straked surrounds on the prefacelift bumper. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the type S wheelarch flares.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
I prefer the facelifts - they look more meaner, modern and have that "shark" look about them. I like the big grille on the facelifts too and the bigger "bulgier" bonner.
Prefacelifts are nice too, and look even better with the tow cover off.
For me, my favourite is a Super VR-4 prefacelift with a facelift grille :drool: oh lawd.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Honestly - I would have preferred a facelift but $$ held me back unfortunately. So I settled for the next best thing - Black Leather interior! :) No factory facelift has black leather interior so ner-ner :p

hahaha

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Yeah I like the FL Bonnet but love the slim line style of the Pre...the back looks so much better on them. I actually like a lot of the cars style from the 90's...the Civics, Accords, Silvias, WRX..... just to name a few, after that time they seemed to go bubble eyed with low roofs and big high doors etc....

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I really don't like the flares on the FL cars - I think they look tacky and don't complement the lines of the car at all. I do prefer the FL bonnet though. Overall I think they each have strengths & weaknesses - the Series 1 is more of a sleeper, the FL a bit more "out there".

Facelifting a car is always fraught with danger - you're essentially going away from what was originally a cohesive design and adding design elements that potentially don't work with the bulk of the sheetmetal. Just look at the VX Commodore. With that in mind I think Mitsubishi did very well to make the FL cars look just as good as the original.

Top Bottom