Fined for defects!

G

Unregistered
Yup, just another example of how this backwards money hungry state is getting worse and worse by the day. With all the revenue the SA government makes there is never anything to show for it apart from wasted 'wanky' ideas.

Where are our properly constructed main roads, freeways, free flowing intersections, world class sporting & entertainment facilities etc? I would hardly call the southern expressway anything else but a failure (a one way freeway, honestly!?), and only now is Adelaide Oval getting its long overdue redevelopment.
SA has only just started moving into the 20th century (let alone nowhere near the 21st century) by finally realising that an 'underpass' is actually a good traffic infrastructure idea, but then they go and capitalise on it by putting a fixed speed camera on it, to catch motorists out as they go down the ramp... Then there's the South Rd/Grand Junction Rd split level overpass...Yes something like that is needed, but not really that far down south road, it needs to occur closer to the Port Road/Torrens Road area, but in true SA government/Mike Rann fashion "we'll just do something half arse instead of doing it properly the first time, just to pretend we're actually doing something about a problem"

Anyways, back on to the topic of this thread. From July 1st this year motorists who are defected for any fault with their vehicle will now incur a fine of at least $120 (for a minor defect like bald tyres, blown light bulb etc) right up to $250 for a major defect such as illegal modifications, faulty suspension etc.

I sure as hell have an issue with this, yes I know we modify our cars and if there is anything illegal on them then we have to wear the consequences that go with it, however there's a difference between copping it (pardon the pun) and seeing no benefit to the state, and copping it and seeing the revenue raised from such fines being poured back into fixing our astoundingly bad roads or even building proper main roads & freeways. Something like this is not going to fix our road toll, its not going to fix anything except increase the state's bank account size!

I would much rather have what the Eastern state's currently have with annual vehicle inspections to make sure they are roadworthy. A car coated in rust, blowing smoke, leaky brake lines etc is much more of a risk to society and me than my car, or anyone elses on this forum. If you're driving a stock lancer and aren't pulled over how would a cop know whether your brake lines are leaking, or you have a big enough oil leak to cause your car to spontaneously combust...yet if you're slightly lowered or have a cannon, you'll be harrassed and fined for that, yet every single other thing on your car could be 100% perfectly maintained!

More info here: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/motorists-slugged-for-defects/story-e6frea6u-1226058563490

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
So dumb, saw this article this morning. Voted 'revenue raiser' on the poll, perhaps if the polls are horrid enough they'll back down on it :p

....No they won't, but at least they can know that it's obvious as hell.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
We have a similar system to raise funds from ANY car in Victoria.

Tax Cameras (oh I'm sorry... speed *ahem*).

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Yo steves, Come to qld, we have a good jap car scene;)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I wanna move to Brisbane, but the Mrs wont move that far from her family :(
Oh well, I say fuck it, lets all buy 4WD's and put in 4" lift kits (2" sus, 2" body), 35" muddies , and go bush bashing!!!
(although im sure the cops would still f**k us over for being Over height or some shit)

G

Unregistered
speaking of which, how rarely do you ever see a 4x4 being defected for being too high, or having its tyres poking way outside the guards etc?? never. yes it looks tuff as nails, but where's the equality?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
speaking of which, how rarely do you ever see a 4x4 being defected for being too high, or having its tyres poking way outside the guards etc?? never. yes it looks tuff as nails, but where's the equality?

lol damn butter.

but yeah, never hav i seen a 4wd get done. even with straight pipes and bull bar mounted intercoolers and other stupid/awesome shit

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Its all revenue and hypocrisy.
My datsun 180B was shockingly unsafe with stupid mods, got pulled over a couple times but they never looked at the car.
I have a boost gauge right at the base of my A pillar that is detectable. It doesn't block ANY vision. Yet taxis have half their windscreen blocked and are continually playing with them.

If we have a dvd player we have to have it wired to the handbrake or its defectable. Cops have a huge screen which they are monitoring all the time.

Where is the rational? There is none.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I think the motto of SAPOL goes something like:

Fuck bitches, get money

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Yeah it's bullshit. I'm moving interstate.

Yea, ive just about had enough too, Europe sounds good. Or Mexico. ;)

Anyone who voted labor at last election kindly punch themselves in the balls (or equivalent) until I say stop........

G

Unregistered
Its all revenue and hypocrisy.
My datsun 180B was shockingly unsafe with stupid mods, got pulled over a couple times but they never looked at the car.
I have a boost gauge right at the base of my A pillar that is detectable. It doesn't block ANY vision. Yet taxis have half their windscreen blocked and are continually playing with them.

If we have a dvd player we have to have it wired to the handbrake or its defectable. Cops have a huge screen which they are monitoring all the time.

Where is the rational? There is none.

I argue this point constantly! taxi's and courier driver's have them, and they are perfectly fine for them...you see taxi drivers fiddling with them non stop, and they are bad enough drivers already!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
The way I see it, if you manage to get your head up against the A pillar, you're in a lot of trouble reguardless of a guage.

G

Unregistered
yup, a gauge or gauge holder it going to do SFA in comparison to what the a-pillar and windscreen are going to do...not to mention the steering wheel (and airbag as well) those things fkn hurt!!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
seriously... i'm getting tempted to get one of these for daily/muddy fun, and tow a track car....

IMG_0506.jpg

Top Bottom