Fined for defects!

G

Unregistered
you're not the only one, i've thought of a colorado/d-max or a navara for a little while now. could go a HIGH-lux as well :D

although i'd be too tempted to hit/push people out of the way if they piss me off haha!

AUSVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
'00 Mitsubishi Legnum
I'd say there would be police discretion in relation to actually giving the fine, but I agree that the government need to get their priorities right. I had saw a newspaper article saying that McIntire road was going to be closed for a few days for an XX million dollar upgrade. I thought that meant they were finally going to re-surface the thing (which is long over due). A few days later I drive down it and what do ya know, they've just patched it in a few places for the millionth time!

G

Unregistered
I'd say there would be police discretion in relation to actually giving the fine, but I agree that the government need to get their priorities right. I had saw a newspaper article saying that McIntire road was going to be closed for a few days for an XX million dollar upgrade. I thought that meant they were finally going to re-surface the thing (which is long over due). A few days later I drive down it and what do ya know, they've just patched it in a few places for the millionth time!
Yeah I got my hopes up about that as well, as I drive that road in both directions daily! It's up there with one of (if not THE!) the worst roads in SA.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I'd say there would be police discretion in relation to actually giving the fine, but I agree that the government need to get their priorities right.

That would be fine if all police were sensible. (most are, don't start cop bashing please). But again... you can be fined over a matter of opinion:
Fog lights... whose definition of inclement weather is true, yours if you think the fog lights helped you see, or the cop's who didn't think it was inclement enough?
FWD in the wet taking off from the traffic lights on the white line... accidentally chirp (VERY easy in a V6 magna). Can be classed as hoon driving according.
Take off quickly to get ahead in a slip lane but don't exceed the speed limit or spin the wheels. Can be classed as hoon driving as well.

There are too many obscure boundaries and areas of open interpretation for my liking.

AUSVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
'00 Mitsubishi Legnum
McIntire road is a roller coaster that I wish neither of my cars had to ride...

Most of those things you mentioned peter have been successfully argued against in court so common sense can and does prevail

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Hate to tell you all but I know some 4wd owners that have been defected for lift kits and lack of swaybars.... Not making your car personal or individual seems to be the only way sure not to get defected.... Don't get me started on speeding....

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
That would be fine if all police were sensible. (most are, don't start cop bashing please). But again... you can be fined over a matter of opinion:
Fog lights... whose definition of inclement weather is true, yours if you think the fog lights helped you see, or the cop's who didn't think it was inclement enough?
FWD in the wet taking off from the traffic lights on the white line... accidentally chirp (VERY easy in a V6 magna). Can be classed as hoon driving according.
Take off quickly to get ahead in a slip lane but don't exceed the speed limit or spin the wheels. Can be classed as hoon driving as well.

There are too many obscure boundaries and areas of open interpretation for my liking.

Very good point.

I got done for having my Fog Lights on at 6pm at night, but I'm gradually thinking that they weren't nessasary. Althought I must rephrase: They weren't fog lights, but driving lights. Again a good argument between the two.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I fixed a playstation for a cop who works in Elizabeth last night (now that would really suck!) annd while soldering I asked him about the boost gauge buried down in the bottom corner of the A pillar seeing as it didn't block any vision and was securely mounted (ie not double sided tape). His comment was technically it was illegal but not something he would issue a defect for, but that there were guys who would. So it really would depend on 1) whether you are an arrogant sod whose attitude asks for it and 2) whether you get a sensible cop who uses his brain instead of blindly following all of the stupid rules our government makes up in their tea parties.

AUSVR4... yes it may be argued in court, but at quite a large cost and time. A big risk if you don't have much of either to spare.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Anyone who voted labor at last election kindly punch themselves in the balls (or equivalent) until I say stop........

I wouldn't like to see this get political, otherwise we can all thank Jackboot Johnny for screwing us all over with the changes to the import laws.

I've been pulled over by the cops for having my foglights on in Terrigal on the central coast (I just put them on instinctively). Bearing in mind it was 7pm.
Coppers goes "you know, I should be charging you $141 (?) for having your foglights on"
I remembered the electronic signs on the F3 stating foglights should only be used in adverse conditions, so quip, "I didn't realise they were on, but you should know that driving in Pothole Central, oh I mean the central coast is definitely adverse conditions"
Copper laughs & says "not bad. I'll let you go this time".

L.O.L.

G

Unregistered
I got pulled into an RBT the other night just a few mins from home on my way back from getting take-away for dinner. The cop was an older guy, pretty cool laid back officer, there i was sitting there, super low, wheels, exhaust, gauges as bright as the northern lights, brembos squealing louder than a pre-teen at a justin beiber concert...and all he said was "ur all good, enjoy dinner, smells good mate!" and moves on to the next car...

but then there are the cops who hate society and have a vendetor against everyone, who really fcuk it up for everyone. there's a motorbike cop (with one hell of a handle bar mustache!) around the golden grove/para hills/mcintyre road area who HATES wrx's and anything else which has even the smallest mod...and makes it his duty to pull you over and defect you. he's done me 5 times so far. i know him by name haha! wanker!

G

Unregistered
that's his first and last name...Wayne Kerr.

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
I was pulled over in town the other night for licence check, then they took ages to return to my car before stating my exhaust was to low to the ground. Didnt even know what car it was yet his problem was with the bend in the exhaust were it goes around the diff to the back muffler. Serious waste of time and cop looked new to his job/title.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Did they measure the ground clearance before stating it was too low?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Being fined for defects is so stupid, its not like a police officer is trained to know what is and isnt to spec and therefore shouldnt be given the power to impose fines for being out of said specs.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Its one thing if the fine is only payable if the vehicle is subsequently proven to be unroadworthy by an authorised inspection station. If the fine is payable simply because you have been given a ticket on the side of the road, based purely on opinion, then that is bad.
I havent read the relevent legislation, but I'd imagine it would be the former.

G

Unregistered
The fine is given on the spot along with the defect notice, based purely on the conclusion given by the cops interpretation.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Is there anywhere/anyone that a letter can be written to highlighting this sort of stuff?

Top Bottom