Fire proofing necessary?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
The standard firewall of the Legnums has tons of this sound proofing material in it, now when doing the turbo upgrade, that firewall needs to be massaged a little and a small portion of the sound proofing removed as one part of the turbo sits too close, like you can barely fit a finger in between the turbo and the firewall in most places and at one place it sticks out (hence the massage).

P1000629.jpg

This photo isn't current as half the turbo is missing here, but you can see how much space there is.

Is that sound proofing material likely to be a problem? Do people think it would be wise to remove it and put some fireproof material in it's place?

Or is there any other recommendations?

Thanks

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
i think it would be a good idea to use the fire proofing material on the firewall, just in case and also to stop the heat getting through the firewall and baking your feet :D. are you putting a heat sheild around the exhaust housing of the turbo??? that would be a good idea to.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would put something onto the turbo as well, one of those turbo boot things.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Thanks for the input, do you think that standard sound proofing stuff it actually fire resistant? I mean if it was I'd just leave it in as there's still a few mm space there. Haven't thoght about wrapping the turbo? Could help I guess.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Try using a turbo beanie. Also, looks like you have a bit of space between the turbo and the block. Couldn't you just make the flange adaptor a wedge shape and move it away from the firewall???

Top Bottom