Is that really necessary to replace your bov when your car is running on stock?

tiiimmyz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tim
Drive
1996 Galant VR-4
Hey Guys,
Just want to know if that's really necessary to replace your factory bov with after market one if you are running stock engine. I was thinking of replacing old one with after market one just so I can make the sound louder lol. Not sure if its good idea or not.
Cheers

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
The ones that make noise all vent to the atmosphere; as such they are illegal and do not help power. When it vents, air that has already been metered by the ECU disappears from the system meaning the mixture will go rich for a very short time. You would be better off to upgrade to an EVO metal BOV from either an 8 or a 10. These fit straight on, don't leak like the stock ones usually do and are road legal; they also are likely to help with performance, especially if you up the boost at some point.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
you'd have to get a vent to atmosphere bov to get some sound out of it, you will lose throttle response and find yourself using more fuel (you'll be booting the throttle for no reason other than to hear the BOV)

you can also find yourself having problems when the car returns from revs back to idle where it will bounce the rpm a bit before it settles back to a normal idle, or stall. especially shit when going around roundabouts.

i've had stock, VTA adjustable from GFB and evo 8, in that order.

since gone back to VTA just because i barely drive it anymore and like to mess around and be annoying

someone will probably advise no point changing bov unless going to 14psi or more

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Stock boost stock BOV is fine...it only tends to leek at higher boost...
the stock one should have no sound but if u want the sound you need a vent to atmosphere BOV...

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Be careful going VTA BOV, especially autos don't like it. I had to run 50/50 vent otherwise every time I stopped the engine stalled. So if u do want the noise go duel port BOV so can plum half back. I've never had an issue with it like that.

tiiimmyz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tim
Drive
1996 Galant VR-4
Thank you guys for all the help. Might be upgrading to Evo x one like Martin said. Not worth upgrading to after market one just for sound and have those problems just like you guys said.
appreciate it.
Cheers

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
It is pretty rare that anyone experiences problems due to a VTA bov, I have ran them on both auto and manual VR4s now and had no issues what so ever. I even get great fuel economy running VTA. The amount of air your missing going into your intake is nothing really.
I think more to the point, running a BOV that is leaking in any way is going to cause poor running and bad fuel economy, whether its VTA and recirc makes little difference. People buy a $60 HKS ebay knock off that is faulty before it leaves the factory, dont bother trying to adjust it and when their car doesn't like it very much, they assume its because it was a VTA type. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
At least if its a recirc and it leaks your mixture doesn't suffer. I had a mate with a VTA whose car would occasionally come to a stop when the BOV vented, it was sticking open :p

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
So um, are there any actual benefits to a VTA? Apart from a cool sound?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Apparently the cool sound attracts women also - but I have only ever heard that from people that own them, so that might not be entirely true; it certainly attracts police though!

In terms of mechanical benefit, none whatsoever.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
There was word somewhere along the line that VTA eliminates a shock wave from impacting on the compressor wheel of the turbo after you close the throttle butterfly. Whether this was to promote life of the turbo or something to do with keeping the turbo spooling I'm not sure & doubt it really matters with a street car. Someone else would know more about this tho...
I used to have a HH Galant with VTA fitted and it ran like a pig because of it. It always had extra fuel in the system and make the engine stall or splutter because the air from the equation had been lost.
The only thing it was good for, was letting some idiot in front of me know that I was pissed off, by me overtaking them and dumping it right outside their stupid window....

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
A vta bov has no benefit over a correctly setup recirc. But it does have negatives. A recifc bov also deals with the excess pressure etc just as well as a vta. To the op, on stock boost, the stock bov is fine....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
as what everyone said above ^^^

but if you'd like to insist on getting a VTA.. get the HKS SSQV, its VTA and you can get an adaptor to turn it into re-circulating BOV..

also members who's used it NEVER had issues with their idling or when they change gears..

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
At least if its a recirc and it leaks your mixture doesn't suffer. I had a mate with a VTA whose car would occasionally come to a stop when the BOV vented, it was sticking open :p
If its recirc and leaking it still has a huge effect on performance, a leaking recirc valve is a boost leak which would effect your mixture. Leaking blow off valves are bad, regardless of being recirc or VTA.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Leaking recirc won't affect afr, leaking vta will run rich

PDJnr

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Patrick
Drive
Galant VR4
as what everyone said above ^^^

but if you'd like to insist on getting a VTA.. get the HKS SSQV, its VTA and you can get an adaptor to turn it into re-circulating BOV..

also members who's used it NEVER had issues with their idling or when they change gears..

How would it sound if you added the re-circulating adaptor? Muffled?

Top Bottom