This might sound really stupid!!!!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Can you actually 'de'-turbo an engine ?

i.e., take an engine from being turbocharged, removing the turbos & transforming it into a naturally-aspirated engine.

Is this even possible ? If so, what kind of work are we talking about that would be required to achieve this ?

Let's not go ... who? where? why? huh?
Just interested in the feasibility posed by the question.

Flame away if you wish! :sad:

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Im sure it could be done, however because the engine was tuned and maybe built for forced induction you would have to re-tune it and reset the fuel ratios ect. Also, but im not sure, you may need to change the internals of the engine to suit normal induction.

Anyone correct me if im wrong, Im not 100% sure, people tend to turbo/super chage engines not the other way around. ;)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
You would need to change ECU, MAF, Manifolds etc.

I drove my 1600 with no intercooler or piping from essendon to mulgrave with no issues. It went ok but not as hard as a NA would have gone. It had a EMS ECU with no MAF.

No compression = Poo performance

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
you can

bascialy:
ad exhaust manifolds
remove turbo and associated harware
add intake
change ECU
Change comp ratio

Getting picky:
cams
valves
ports

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The top section of Paul's post is exactly what I'd do. Fortunately the exhaust, ecu and intake can come straight from an ST-R. No idea if you'll have to change the loom. As for comp ratio, you can get 8.5 (VR-4), 9.0 (jdm 6a13 n/a) and 9.5 (euro and nz 6a13 n/a)

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
But there's no awd in the magna wagon which is why he's looking at this i guess. Could you just go an STR engine??

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
The compression ratio was the first thing I thought about, as the NA 6A13 has the comp ratio obviously higher for example.

Anything else I had no idea.

P.S - This is not to do with the Legnums! Just as due to DOTARS, a lot of NA cars can't come in but their turbo equivalents can...

G

Unregistered
If you only want to do it temporarily (valet mode for example) you could run a small electronic compressor (such from an air-horn) that pressurised the wastegate lines so the turbos were effectively bypassed. Whatever compressor you choose, it would have to be one that could operate continuously with overheating.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Get an M35 stagea

Hmmm... interesting, but I still think they look like poo. There's a few in my area.

I'm not actually going to do it, I was just curious as to the mechanicals involved.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I'd have the 350S 6 speed manual version, or any of the H6 Legacys to replace my ST-R

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
I'd have the 350S 6 speed manual version, or any of the H6 Legacys to replace my ST-R

Quite a few people have said the H6s drink fuel badly.

What's the ST-R like on fuel ? Being NA, does it run happily on regular 91RON petrol?

Back on topic - How is compression ratio governed ? Is by mechanical means or is it electronically controlled & therefore able to be adjusted?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I normally get around 9l/100km when driving around town, I've had into the 7's a few times though, and almost always 8's on the open road. 91 is fine on it.

Compression ratio is mechanical, it is simply how much the piston compresses the air when on it's upward stroke.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Sounds to me that the ST-R would've been the perfect Leggy for your running around Brad (king_panther). It's definitely a shame we can't bring them in as a second option.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Sounds to me that the ST-R would've been the perfect Leggy for your running around Brad (king_panther). It's definitely a shame we can't bring them in as a second option.

Tell me about it dude. As I've mentioned a few times around here, when I was looking at buying, the guy I ended up buying my VR4 from also had an ST-R as well. He brought it over trying to get it approved for compliance (he was a compliance shop), but it got knocked back. That would have been the exact car to suit me, but I went with the VR4 instead because of lack of choice. Frigging Howard......
My rims are from that ST-R. The VR4 had stockies & I'm damn positive that the ST-R had a black leather & black interior.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Fairly common to get ST-R's with black leather, it was a semi limited edition. You should have had it swapped across, it is only a 2 hour job to completely swap both interiors

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Fairly common to get ST-R's with black leather, it was a semi limited edition. You should have had it swapped across, it is only a 2 hour job to completely swap both interiors

Well at the time Brad I had no idea about the version of Legnums out there... I was just looking for a work car that ticked all the right boxes!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Heh, you knew about all the versions when you bought your Super. I bought my first two Legnums before learning about all the options. I was just lucky the second one (my purple VR-4) had Recaro's, moonroof, mmsc, and was a facelift with AYC.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Heh, you knew about all the versions when you bought your Super. I bought my first two Legnums before learning about all the options. I was just lucky the second one (my purple VR-4) had Recaro's, moonroof, mmsc, and was a facelift with AYC.

Haha .... well I knew at least about the Super by that time. Bear in mind I'd been on the forum for well over a year by that time!

Top Bottom