Might be moving..

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Commodore (dont hate, its for work) & MY16 WRX Premium
Hey guys,
I may be moving to Victoria soon for work, and i have absolutely no idea about melb at all. The place (if i get the job) is in Notting Hill, all i could tell from maps was its eastern melb. Any good locations near there that i should be looking at?
Any help would be appreciated

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Lol cheers, i've been looking at places in Glen Waverley and stuff around there, not sure what the area's are like though.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I have some relatives around notting hill. I live on the other side of town so I'm not that familiar with it, but it seems quiet enough. Some areas of Oakleigh nearby are not as good though.

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
I'll keep that in mind when searching for places :)

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Stay away from Croydon, Dandenong, Springvale, Noble Park, and especially Glen Waverley (hehe thats where snickells lives). Oh and Frankston mostly sucks balls as well (Sorry mookers, but i grew up there so i'm allowed to say that). Most of the east is ok, typically rent/mortgages get cheaper the further away from the city you are. Where I am (northern Carrum Downs) you can get some decent, modern houses for reasonable prices, and it's about 20 minutes' drive from notting hill. You just have to put up with the well-to-do bogans in their VE or FG V8s.

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Driving isnt really much of an issue, as i should get a car. def looking for a lock-up garage or drive-thru to fenced backyard to keep the leggy safe till weekends. i should be down before i start, to check shit out.
btw... is it true you get in the right lane to turn left in vic? if it is, that shit will do my head in lol

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
No, you got it wrong. Mainly in the city where some intersections have trams lines that intersect you will need to do a hook turn in order to turn right. There are signs that tell you if it's necessary. Basically it stops cars blocking trams.

So a hook turn in Melbourne is done by keeping in the left lane or left of traffic, stopping until the lights change (i.e. green light for the right facing traffic) and then you can turn right. Unless you drive in the heart of the city a fair bit, I doubt you will encounter it.

G

Unregistered
As a bonus you can do U-turns at all intersections here, unless there is a sign specifically forbidding it... which is rare :)

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Yeah i've been done a couple of times here for that :(. we cant do them unless there is a sign stating we can

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Cashed-up bogans and V8s? Hey, we got them in Franga too you know...

Hook turns are awesome fun. I love freaking visitors out with them. Plus, since you gotta get your car out of the way before it gets broadsided when the light turns green, you pretty much have a valid excuse to stomp on it :D

G

Unregistered
I worked with a couple of people that came down from the Sydney office and hired a car. They found out about the need for hook turns the hard way. Getting T-boned by a tram makes a real mess.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Hook turns are really quite simple in concept. Just pretend you're a bicycle and that dedicated right turn lanes don't exist.

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
I'm always keen for a cruise, id come up from melb for one lol.. well thats just one big long cruise anyways

Top Bottom