Pump/whine sound when reversing

eliotbnz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Eliot
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
Hi all,

Just in the last 2-3 days my facelift, auto Legnum has started producing an odd noise when reversing.

It sounds like a fuel pump, semi-high pitched hum/whine noise. I thought it may be AYC but I'm sure it's coming from the front left of the car and I have removed the AYC fuses anyway. It only does it when hot and after it has been running a while, usually open road sort of driving.

It doesn't happen when the car isn't moving and gets progressively louder as speed/load increases.

I have also noticed it has dropped a wee bit of fluid of some sort - I suspect from the transmission, somewhere around where it attaches to the block. It has also started this in the last 2-3 days. There was always a slight drip, but these look more substantial, though are only occurring after driving - it then goes back to the odd drip once it cools down. The patch of fluid is about 8-10 cm across.

I have a transmission cooler installed, if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions as to what is happening appreciated!

eliotbnz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Eliot
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
No external pump

It has gone away - I wonder if it was something stuck in the brakes that only caught in reverse.

Slow leak remains, suspect the classic leaking torque convertor. Add it to the list...

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
No external pump

It has gone away - I wonder if it was something stuck in the brakes that only caught in reverse.

Slow leak remains, suspect the classic leaking torque convertor. Add it to the list...
What was the fuel level?
External, so you are running a Surge tank then? What lift pump and main are you using

eliotbnz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Eliot
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
Stock WTF? This is your response when asked about fuel pump dude so that's why I asked my question to help diagnose your issue.

Riiiight now I'm with ya. These things get confused via the interwebs. I'm used to old cars where "external" is considered aftermarket is as much as one might run an external lift and main pump due to lack of baffling in older fuel tanks.

In any case, stock fuel system, and it seems resolved for now... (we shall see!)

Top Bottom