Fuel Pressure Regulator question

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Is there a way to test the fuel pressure regulator..to find out if its on the way out. Reason is I've been experiencing a sudden drop by 1-2 litres per km in consumption. Especially after a TME tune, new spark plugs,new o2 and new ICE leads I was expecting an improvement from the usual 9km/1L I was getting..instead I'm getting 7-8km/1L now. Driving and use of A/C has been conservative of course. :)

I did a bit of search online and one method was to have the car running and then disconnecting the vacuum hose from the regulator and see if fuel would start dripping from the regulator after 5mins.

another method was to attach a hose with a meter reading psi and see what psi its reading with and without the vacuum hose. problem is I'm not exactly sure where to attach the hose with the meter..:blush:

Also would anyone know the MD part number of the fuel pressure regulator and whether or not an Evo9 fuel pressure regulator is a direct bolt on replacement for our cars.

thanks in advance.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
I'd love to know how you are getting under 10L/100Ks personally. I get like 13-15 all day every day.

You know 7-8L/100KMs is *better* than 9L/100KM?

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
oops sorry! before: 11L/100km....now getting 13L/100km..12L/100km was the best so far.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Yeah that whole running till the regulator leaks method sounds bad and or impossible. Anyways, second method is correct, you need to attach a fuel pressure gauge before the regulator.

Option 1)There are Mitsubishi specific fuel rail adapters if you wanna run an aftermarket reg with gauge ie http://tinyurl.com/8ehkpgl.

Option 2)If you simply want to check the stock FPR, check the JDM workshop manual, section 13A-94 for part #s Mitsubishi use to attach a gauge on the rear rail: MD998742 & MD998709.

Found MD998742 on eBay.

MD998709 including gauge.

For the money you'll spend on Mitsi special tools, I'd be inclined to get an aftermarket FPR with gauge.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Evo stuff doesn't bolt on though as we discovered trying to put a VR4 reg on an evo.

measure pressure, don't do the dripping thing, where the hell has that come from? Pressure is easy to measur....

Top Bottom