Fuel pressure test - is there a test connection point?

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Guys is there a schrader valve or similar to easily test the fuel pressure on the legnum? i couldnt see one..

any advice appreciated on easiest way to do this.. thanks!

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
oh.. thats quite a neat little unit..... thanks!

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
I borrowed a fuel pressure guage, and I did have to cut into the rubber fuel hose leading to the fuel rail and fit a T piece in to measure the fuel pressure.

for the record, the fuel pressure is about 43 psi or so at idle and under full throttle (15 or 16 psi of boost) would rise to about 60psi which i understood is about right (although someone jump in if not).

connecting the fuel pressure guage to the outlet side of the fuel regulator (the return to the tank) was pretty inconclusive, it seemed to read a few psi at idle and nothing under load.

one other thing i learnt during this process is the fuel pump only gets about 7.5 volts at idle and coasting, then comes up to 12V only once you get onto the throttle. (by design) i verified that with the multimeter. just keep that in mind if trying to check your fuel pump flow, or pump voltage etc when at idle.. 7.5 volts does NOT indicate somethings broken..

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
^ broken (sub-optimal) is relative to OEM or aftermarket pump it has to be said.

Not all pumps flow the same at different voltages.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Geezus they want some serious coin for shipping - $141! @naughtika do you think they would offer cheaper shipping if asked directly so as to avoid UPS shipping?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
that is through directly..

we could've added this in the FL group buy if you had mentioned it

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
LOL, at that point I didn't even know this thread existed. :)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Ordered directly from 3SX. I contacted them directly and they offered me USPS shipping for less than a quarter of the cost.

I like diagnostics. Being able to see fuel pressure will stop me from barking up the wrong tree if I ever feel the need to check it and can't. Plus I can remove the gauge if I need to and fit a digital pressure sensor.

Mind you I didn't check if there's any space to fit the adapter yet. :oops:

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
That reminds me I really should fit my one of these...

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Fitted mine today. Works a treat.

IMG_20141231_153748.jpg

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
I borrowed a fuel pressure guage, and I did have to cut into the rubber fuel hose leading to the fuel rail and fit a T piece in to measure the fuel pressure.

for the record, the fuel pressure is about 43 psi or so at idle and under full throttle (15 or 16 psi of boost) would rise to about 60psi which i understood is about right (although someone jump in if not).

connecting the fuel pressure guage to the outlet side of the fuel regulator (the return to the tank) was pretty inconclusive, it seemed to read a few psi at idle and nothing under load.

one other thing i learnt during this process is the fuel pump only gets about 7.5 volts at idle and coasting, then comes up to 12V only once you get onto the throttle. (by design) i verified that with the multimeter. just keep that in mind if trying to check your fuel pump flow, or pump voltage etc when at idle.. 7.5 volts does NOT indicate somethings broken..

Not sure where the 43 psi comes from, my service manual states 38.5 at idle, vacuum hose connected, 48.5 disconnected.

Jamezyp1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nathan
Drive
galant vr4 conversion
Ahaaa..but he did atleast help me, cuz im tryna figure out what my stock fuel pressure is supposed to be rn. Having an issue with the car during accel where its breaking up, sputtering and holding back..only on hard pulls tho, and im realising my fuel pressure is way off. 28 or so on idle..and well just below 40 with vacuum line off.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Official values from japanese manual.

Screenshot_20201104-225245.png

230kpa (33.35 psi) with vac hose
289-309kpa (41.91 - 44.81 psi) without vac hose