Fuel Tank Pressure and Vacuum.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Hey guys,

I've had this issue for a little while but it seems to be getting worse. When I go to fill the car up I get a sucking sound, which makes me think the fuel tank isn't venting propperly. The same thing happens when the car has been sitting in the sun for a while but in reverse, the tank is pressurised. Is there something that could be blocked thats stopping the tank from venting properly? Obviously this is a great way for the fuel tank to split the way it is at the moment.

Thanks guys.

Macca.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
I get some type of pressure in my tank after a drive, not sure whether its positive or negative though. Ill be following this thread with interest.

(I have a new tank, with new seals too, but I think my injectors seals are frigged. They'll be replaced soon)

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
My swift and legnum both do it. Doesn't seem to phase them

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Don't cars have a breather pipe on the tank? Wouldn't it just mean that is blocked?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
They pressurise, it's normal....

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
I get that sucking noise every time I fill up my car -- its been doing that since I owned it and haven't had any problems...

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
Mabee the charcoal cannister is gunked up. The youngest of them would be 11 years old and the oldest 17 or so. My old Au Falcon did the same thing

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
My swift and legnum both do it. Doesn't seem to phase them

Yeah but the probelm seems to be getting worse.

Don't cars have a breather pipe on the tank? Wouldn't it just mean that is blocked?

Thats what I'm thinking.

They pressurise, it's normal....

I wouldn't think it would be normal for it to go into as much of a vacuum as it does.

I get that sucking noise every time I fill up my car -- its been doing that since I owned it and haven't had any problems...

I swear mine never really use to do it.

Mabee the charcoal cannister is gunked up. The youngest of them would be 11 years old and the oldest 17 or so. My old Au Falcon did the same thing

Thats what I thought the problem might be. I think when I get home I might disconnect some of the hoses to that canister and see if it vents the tank.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Have to remember people it's summer. There is a lot more expansion and contraction with the temperature variance. Hence why this seems to be getting worse in summer. Winter not so noticeable.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I do know that but I still believe that the pressure/vacuum should be vented somewhere I just thought someone might know for sure.

Top Bottom