kevin

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
david
Drive
2001 VR4 legnum
hi,

i was wondering if you could help me out with my problem?

normally the Legnum i've got has a 60L tank, however i never manage to get more then 40 liter into the tank.
what might be the problem?
looking from underneath the car it looks like a pretty big tank. but i noticed it sits boths side of the drive shaft, how does fuel run from one side to the other?

thx.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
My guess is that your fuel gauge/sender isn't reading correctly. I.e you can only put 40litres because you still have 20litres left in the tank.

The problem could be with the gauge/cluster/wiring? Or have you installed a new fuel pump recently? Maybe the pump assembly hasn't put back to it's correct orientation?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
At what point on the fuel gauge do you head to the service station for petrol?

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Also, how many Km do you get to before you fill up?

kevin

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
david
Drive
2001 VR4 legnum
i fill up when i hit the verry last point ont the fuel gauge or when the light comes on...
i get around 360 to 400km out of it and than i can reful it for about 40 to 45 liters.

how do the 2 sides of the tank work??? the drive shaft goes straith trough the middle there must be a way that the fuel goes (is pumped) from one side to the other...?

i don't know if there was a new fuel pump installed, but i bought the car pretty much stock... and i can not find an invoice of a fuel pump... which doesn't mean that there is or isn't installed a new one.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Oddly enough I only found this out the other day. There is only 1 pump in the tank. On the passenger side of the tank is pickup. This pipe goes out of the tank crosses drivers side then re enters the tank where the pump goes. Now on the inside of the tank the pipe runs parallel to the fuel return line from the fuel rail. They join up in a plastic collector and then returns into the tanks contents. I assume the flow from the return line creates a vacuum that draws fuel from the other side of the tank. There u go.

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
I usually have between 10-20 litres left when the light comes on depending on ambient temperature and planet alignment. Seems normal for all 8th gens-I've owned galant and legnum

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Kevin, the fuel taken is just a tad over 60L.
the gauge is well known not to be a linear readout. You still have (as you found out) approximately 15-20L once the fuel light is on. Mine used to read completely full for well over 100Km, then drop rapidly until 1/4 and slowly drop to there. Once the needle nudges the E, then you have tapped out.

I am sure if you search, someone has posted a diagram of an accurate readout of how much is left at each point on the gauge.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Yeah, our gauges suck. The most I've ever filled up at is 56L I think, and I'd been driving with the needle quite past the empty line and fuel light on for about 100kms. :p Sure, it's not clever, but sometimes it's just how it pans out.

Albrek

Not really Beliebing
Lifetime Member
First Name
John-Paul
Drive
2008 Volvo V50 Turbo (220awKW)
2017 Ford Mustang GT (300rwKW)
1979 Honda Civic (probably 10fwKW)
2015 Yamaha XSR700 (?KW)
1991 Toyota Supra MA70 Targa (0KW, being restored)
Apologies for resurrecting an older thread, but this seems to be the most accurate topic to post under.

My Legnum is leaking petrol from what feels like the top of the passenger side of the fuel tank. there's no access port under the rear seat so I can't be sure of the exact issue without dropping the tank. but I had a couple q's

Is there any reason why I shouldn't cut a hole and put a second access cover on the passenger side?

if it is the seal failed is this the part I need to fix it?
http://www.carid.com/1998-mitsubish...arts/airtex-fuel-pump-tank-seal-22521193.html

Any help much appreciated ,thanks :)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
The part looks wrong. There is an access panel on the driver's side (under the seat) you can remove to access the fuel pump and that's where the leak most likely is. You probably only need to tighten the locking ring without needing to buy anything else.

In other words, check out the fuel pump locking ring first before going nuts on anything else.

Albrek

Not really Beliebing
Lifetime Member
First Name
John-Paul
Drive
2015 Yamaha XSR700 (?KW)
I had a look at that area already and it's completely dry. Feeling up underneath the car on the passenger side there's a lot of fuel around the locking ring on that side. I'm not even sure what hooks up on that side of the tank but that appeared to bewhere it was coming from

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Interesting. I didn't know there was a lock ring on that side. Perhaps it's a common tank for RHD and LHD cars?

Albrek

Not really Beliebing
Lifetime Member
First Name
John-Paul
Drive
2015 Yamaha XSR700 (?KW)
it definitely feels like a lock ring. I dont know if anything runs to it though. I would have thought everything goes to the serviceable side.

Xerope

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Carter
Drive
1997 Galant vr4
Sorry to awaken this old thread but I'm having an issue where the locking ring on the drivers side is not going on smooth/evenly at all and it leaks a bit from there. I've tried many things but spare parts are QUITE sparse here in the US, any tips on how to seal it up?

Marko

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mark
Drive
Galant VR4
Do you mean the locking ring is threaded/uneven? Or the rubber seal won’t stay in place and hence won’t seal?

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 COTY
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1999 Honda Civic EX
Sorry to awaken this old thread but I'm having an issue where the locking ring on the drivers side is not going on smooth/evenly at all and it leaks a bit from there. I've tried many things but spare parts are QUITE sparse here in the US, any tips on how to seal it up?
I have taken mine off a dozen times already playing with different pumps and so forth. I once had an issue with the ring not being on properly and was leaking fuel.

I would make sure to remove the seal and reseat, then try screwing the ring on again. It can be a little of pain. Just go slow.

Here's the part numbers just in case you need a new one I see many online. Ring MB867374 Gasket MR342213

Top Bottom