mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
Hi Guys,
just a few questions regarding the Haltech Piggy backs,

In my previous threads (mild upgrades) I was told that investing in a Haltech piggyback is much better than simply adding a boost controller as the ECU can control boost as well.

I bought my unit from a person that hadnt installed it in their car, came with a boost control solenoid as well ( extra part sold seperately)

I know the unit splices into the factory wiring and controls ignition, timing, etc. much better than factory tune. With the boost controlling, is it done via the unit (pre-programmed or something) or can we lets say add a missile switch and manually control the boost function?

Anyone confident with how these Haltechs work?

Im thinking maybe we can extend wires into the console and control boost from a switch or something, or does the unit take care of it itself? If so, how and when does it do this?

Also is it wise to remove the boost restrictor pill prior to any boost increase application or should we leave it as it is?

Cheers.
Bilal

2 more upgrades and I am ready to have plenty of fun!!!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I only see one question in there.
The car comes with factory boost control solenoid. So the extra bit you got with the kit isn't needed.
How much boost, how long is a pice of string?? Give us an idea of your mods, but my answer will stay the same regardless. Not much point running more than 12psi, as the inlet temps start to go through the roof. I have 12psi set on mine ( i run the miniceptor too) and with an exhaust & cooler she's punching out around 175kw.
But hey it's your engine its up to you.
Go through the mods section you'll see what people are getting output wise, just remember, it's not about having the biggest number

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Sell the piggy-back

with the $$$ install a good front mount intercooler

get a good manual boost controller

tune the factory ECU

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Its possible you have a 7202 factory ECU which can be tuned, your car is in the right year group. So yeah, do what Merlin said. As for boost, plenty of us are running more then 12 without issues.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Simon, pull your ecu out, pop the cover off (so to speak) and cross your fingers you have a 7202. If your car is around very late 97 and early 98 pfl or late 98 to early 99 fl the you more than likely have a 7202,

Merlin is still trying to find the boost control address on the factory ecu. He can raise and lower boost cut but not control actual boost yet.

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
Hmmm, interesting,
When I first mentioned my future plans for upgrades, and i was after a boost control unit, i was told there is no point in having another unit controling just boost when the haltech can control the ecu and the boost.

Currently I have 3'' turbo-back exhaust and a Ram-pod filter.
I will get the intercooler and the ECU tune next.
My aim is somewhere around 190-200 kw at the wheels.
I just want the car to be more punchy yet still drivable and stay as a sleeper.

Anyone knows where i can get my ECU tuned in Melbourne and that way I can dispose of the interceptor.
Cheers.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Go see CREATD MOTORSPORT in Campbellfield. They are working on my car.

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
Merlin is in NSW isnt he?
Im confused if I should keep the Haltech or sell it for an ECU tune.

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
lso i heard the guys at Protek in Preston can work on our engines as well. Any recommendations?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Bilal the boys at CREATD MOTORSPORT can tune the interceptor or flash your ECU if you have the right one. Trust me they know how to tune.

Clown

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Was a 1997 Legnum (R.I.P) now a 1996 NJ Pajero
I'll trade, haltech e11v2 +bits that were used to install it, for stock ECU , haltech piggy back and stock airbox intake. personally I'd steer clear of haltech......... but it could be just me.......

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
So here's mine, yes i have a spare, both late 96. Where am a looking?
IMG_9839.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Simon, look for MH7202, MH7203 or MH7201

I think the one on the left is either MH7203 or MH7202.. which means they are flashable..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simon, look for MH7202, MH7203 or MH7201

I think the one on the left is either MH7203 or MH7202.. which means they are flashable..

Sweet, thanks Christian. The one on the left is the one in the car. The right one is another i used to fault find something.

Top Bottom