Help figuring out head unit wiring

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Well, I'm trying to install the NR-VZ800MCD head unit that I picked up a while ago, and see what happens.

According to the front of the box, it's a combination MD/CD/DVD/TV/RADIO/Navigation system. It doesn't appear to have any bluetooth capability or phone interface. It DOES have input for VICS, not that that is useful in Australia.

Here's the back of the unit, with what I have figured out so far.

connectors.jpg

Some plugs are obvious - the yellow one is the Antenna (though how this single socket will go with Diversity antenna inputs I'm not sure.)

The purple one is a 3.5mm standard audio socket, labelled MIC. I'm not sure what function this is for.

The Mini-DIN8 plug is the same connector as an old-school Macintosh Printer/Modem port. Likewise, no idea what this is for.

The green large plug, I have no idea.

The black large plug, I have no idea.

The small round four-pin plug, I have no idea.

The square grey pin, I suspect is a TV antenna. But

The one outlined in red is the normal car audio connector, 18 pin, but I'm not able to find a proper adapter for this - I do have a plug for that, that I will be able to splice to the normal Mitsubishi connector. It appears the leftmost 8 pins are speakers, and a couple more are labelled in this russian diagram.

1322839715_3281_FT81682_mmc_800_.jpg

Can anyone help me solve some of the mysteries and help me figure out what I need to plug in to this beast?

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
The round plugs with several pins are usually aux ports for things like external CD stackers. Strange that it has a MIC port if it doesn't have any phone integration.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
You've prob worked most of these out already.

REV = +12V signal from your reverse lights to switch the display into reverse camera mode. I suspect one of the other plugs would have a yellow video RCA input socket…..
ILL = Illumination = 12+ from dash lights to dim the unit
ANT+ = +12vdc output to power your electric aerial. Connect this to the black spade lug that is attached to the cars aerial loom. The diversity aerial needs to be powered.
For the aerial, I just used the big antenna plug on the loom and it works ok.
PKB = ?

The 1/4 inch mic input for hands free mic… but as per Dice, not phone capable?

My Kenwood unit has a separate GPS module that is supposed to plug in the back. It uses like a mini Din 8...

This is all I can work out, this is a tricky one

R Kilburn

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roland
Drive
1996 PFL VR-4 Galant
Id say either the green or black input (molex?) is for the aircon touchscreen controls maybe? the small 4 pin could be GPS reception input. Mini Din is most likely CD stacker

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Thats why I love this forum - Thanks to everyone, its making a lot more sense now.

PKB is most likely Park Brake - would you know if that "needs" to be earthed, or receive +12V, in order to enable the video?

Im wondering if the Mini-DIN8 may be S-Video IN for either a reverse camera, or the TV tuner? There are some composite S-video and audio cables with a Mini DIN8.

The bizzare 18-pin connector turns out to be an ATX plug, used for computer motherboards and power supplies. No wonder Repco don't have any.

Right, so here's the messy loom that plugs into it. The previous owner had mutilated it somewhat, but here goes.

messyplug.jpg

Im confused why it would have both ACC and BATT - surely both of these serve the same purpose - power to the unit. Unless... is BATT hotwired, and the power source to keep the clock running? (OK, Ive likely solved that problem as I typed it.) The BATT cable has not one but two fuses inline - a 10A close in, and a 3A further out. Im not sure why. Perhaps I can bypass the 3A fuse?

Two mysterious wires are attached to the pins on the top row between LF+ and ANT+, they're labelled as DEC-CNT1 and DEC-CNT2. Google draws a blank - does anyone have any ideas?

Also I have no idea what the pink wire is - its not labelled, fits between REV and PKB on the bottom row, and is really really long with a 1 kΩ 5% resistor, and an unidentified diode.

Im off to Jaycar for some plug research.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
The park brake signal will need to grounded (-). Wire that permanently to earth.
Leave the 3 amp fuse in, if it blows, bypass it. Can't hurt to have the lowest fuses in possible.
I'd grab the mini Din lead and power the unit up. Use a known video/audio source (like a playstation or similar) and play around plugging in the RCA's. Wouldn't think you can hurt anything with plugging in a/v leads and you may be able to work out what works video and audio wise with it all powered up

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
If you want details on the plugs for this unit , try Chris at Audio Express.

The small grey socket on the top right is for the GPS antenna, the mic input is for Bluetooth but if your unit might not have it. Normally the case of the units can be the same but features are not included.

The park brake wire is normally connected to the hand brake switch. Most time is a negative switch. I would connect correctly as it can result I a $300 fine and worst case scenario your insurance could be void.

If you want to watch movies on the go this is how I did mine. I wired to the cig lighter. I removed the factory lighter plug and ran a wire from the neg of the factory plug to the outside conection of the lighter. The centre pin conection I ran to the park brake wire if the radio. I the looped that wire to handbrake pin on the bottom if the lever through a diode wired in reverse . This would allow the park brake to still activate the system if ever tested but could be overridden by pushing the lighter in. The diode is so when you override the park brake light does not come on.

Top Bottom