Help! Grounding and Wiring adapter

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Sorry bout all the dumb questions but Im always worried Im gonna blow something up when I play with electronics.

Not sure what the best place to ground a head unit is but I had a couple idea's...

I could loosen one of these screws and sandwich the ground wire in and tighten it
random001.jpg

My other idea is to thread a nut onto the end of this bolt that is sticking out and use that to clamp my ground wire down.. I think this is probably the best way to do it but Ill have to wait until morning to go get a nut. Want my tunes now damnit! :)
random007.jpg

Ok next question, the wiring adapter I pulled off my old head unit looks almost exactly the same as the one that came with my new head unit. The yellow and black cables are in the same position but all the colored wires are different. Should I just try it? If it is wrong whats the worst that could happen? A blown fuse or worse?
Pics...
random004.jpg

random005.jpg

Appreciate any help you guys can give, I really am hopeless with this sort of thing :)

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
the last three pics are the same.

snitz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
Toyota Cressida,GK Scorpion,VP Calais..2000 Legnum type S and a Rota project in the shed.
Yeah the dash rail or frame is fine for an earth....

G

Unregistered
anything metal should work . think less cut more :p always works for me

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
In your first picture of the bolts; I used the right side one.

I used one of those ring clamps that you get in amp wiring kits; simply clamped onto the end of the ground wire and screwed the bolt back in.

One of these:
2.gif

I would search for the factory wiring diagram on here then compare it to the new head unit's; which will be in the user manual or easily found using google.

Always check to make sure the wiring is correct; I have seen MANY customers try to bring back head units which had shorted internal circuitry due to the "she'll be right" attitude when installing.

I've always said spend the time to do it right the first time and save headaches later on.

Any details on the head unit you have? Sorry curiosity gets the best of me :)

Top Bottom