MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
Help!! Spark Plug Leads?

Hi Guys,

I'm having a few proiblems with my car at the moment. It has been at Phil's Mechanical for 2 days now. Phil sold the place about 3 weeks ago but i thought i would give the new owner, Alan, a try but he is still learning Mitsubishi's so he is a little stumped too.

The car is misfiring and has a loud knocking noise under acceleration. I'd recently washed the car's engine bayt and underneath so thought i may have gotten some water in the spark plugs. Active Automotive blasted and cleaned the front 3 for me on Monday and showed me a little bit of water corrosion and some little black spots where it had been misfiring. It was running normally afterwards until i was driving the car to Phil's mechanical on Wednesday. It was misfiring and knocking the whole way there.

The diagnostic for the car came up clear so Alan has replaced the spark plugs and it is still doing the same thing. The ECU error codes are coming up as Ignition Module and Ignition coil but he said he doesnt think its the coil as he put on a spare and the diagnostic was still coming up with nothing. So he is looking at replacing the spark plug leads which is still going to take days to get.

Would it definately be the leads or is there something else it could be?
If anyone could shed some light on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jess

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Wont hurt to replace the leads anyway, they don't cost all that much. How many K's has the car travelled and are they the OEM leads if so it might be time for a change.

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
Dont know what kind of leads they are, i am the first owner since it was imported by S/Fremantlae Auto Imports and the car has done 137xxx from memory. I bought it with 99xxx 1 year n 2 months ago.

Alan keeps saying he doesnt reckon it is the coil pack even tho the error codes came up with ignition coil. Do you reckon that might be the problem or just the leads?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It isn't a bad idea to change them just to confirm if that is the problem or not. You can try disconnecting a lead to see if it gets much worse. If you disconnect a lead (try all 3 in turn) and there is no difference at all to how it runs then obviously the rear cylinders aren't doing much!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Just happen to have a sales docket here from Supercheap Auto for Top Gun Leads, part number TG6181 @ $127.95 for the three leads.

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
Thanks Brad, i'll let the mechanic know. Apparently it's cylinder 2 anyways.

Unfortunately for me Pete, the leads arent quite as readily available over here than they are over your way. Cheers though, im waiting for them to call me back about how long it will take to get some over.

G

Unregistered
Try leads from ICE there is a thread here somewhere about them with contact details - great custoim made leads and Michael had some made up in stock when I ordered - I got them next business day in Brisbane from Victoria. Hope this sorts out your problems

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
Yeah Trev mentioned that to me also. I was hoping to maybe find something close to home before ordering an overnight airbag to save on costs because god knows how much the labour fee's are going to be already, its been 2.5 days he's had it.
Just got back from Supercheap but their supplier had none in stock otherwise i could've had them today :(

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Just cylinder two? If so that points to a lead running to the rear cylinder closest to the cambelt (drivers side)

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
So any idea what the knocking would be then Brad? Or is it all symptoms of the same thing?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The cylinders are as such (when looking from the front of the car):

Number 2 goes to number 5. If 5 is firing ok then the problem must be to do with cylinder 2. If 2 is ok and 5 is screwed then it will be the 5th plug or the lead running between them

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
is that a yes? lol

thanks for that

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Thanks Brad, i'll let the mechanic know. Apparently it's cylinder 2 anyways.

Unfortunately for me Pete, the leads arent quite as readily available over here than they are over your way. Cheers though, im waiting for them to call me back about how long it will take to get some over.

I ordered them and it took a week for them to arrive. :sneaky2:

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
Yeah they dont have any in stock at the moment so a week it will be. I just cant wait a week, its my daily driver and im stuck driving a bloody Ford atm and im a holden girl.
It's a BA Fairmont Ghia but it's missing 2 turbo's :(
Looks like i'll have to call ICE

Cheers Brad :)

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
are they any good? i just want some on there so i can have it until the new ones come in. Would want to pick them up asap though. Like today/2nite or 2moro

G

Unregistered
Have they tried a compression check on number 2 as it will be easy to check that one to eliminate a head gasket problem or damaged piston/head

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
Well once again my car is having this same problem as it was last winter.

I dont know if its a factor but as soon as the weather has started getting cold and rainy, it has started again.

Car is misfiring (not back firing) quite alot wether it be under idle or while driving. Sometimes under acceleration one of the cylinders isnt firing properly and hence creating a knocking sound as it tries to chug along.
Spark plugs (platinums) were changed only 20,000k's ago, leads were changed then too. Coil pack has been cleaned/serviced.

I took it to Evolution R on Friday to get them to change my fuel filter and have a look at the problem. The whole avo the car was there, he said it hadnt done it once. Fortunatley for me, as i was leaving it started doing it so i could show him. He said it is just a broken wire and said to take the engine cover off when i got home and wriggle around the wires until i found the one causing the problem. I did this but to no avail.

I am finding the car is doing it alot when it is cold and not so much when it has warmed up. Unfortunatley i have also noticed that it is slowly getting worse like last time.
Last time it just worked itself out and didnt have a problem since, until now when the winter months are upon us once again.

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom