Help needed - anyone know what the spark plug lead seal looks like?

VR-4-PLAY

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dave
Drive
'02 Legnum Type V
Hi all, as the title suggests, does anyone know what the spark plug lead seal looks like? I went to my local mitsu dealer armed with the part number from CAPS (MD178940) but was told they would be ex-sydney. The guy at the desk had a look on his computer for a bit and told me the seal would be the same as on V6 magnas etc and gave me a set of 6 (see attached photo).

Now before i go to change my rear spark plugs and seals can anyone confirm that i have the right seals so i dont take of my rocker cover for no reason?

And if they are the same then that would be handy info for all!

Attachments

• 26012009179.jpg
    26012009179.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 36

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The one he gave you is different,

The part number you list md178940 is for a rocker cover spark plug hole gasket, and the part number on the item in the picture is for a cylinder head spark plug guide seal.

The good news is the one that he has given you is for a 6A13TT

G

Unregistered
Currently my car has 50,000kms on it and I'm about the do the first (known) major service on my car. As part of this I'll be replacing the spark plugs with Iridium ones, so that I don't need to worry about them for a long while.

Should I be looking to replace these seals mentioned above now too?

Is there anything else I need to replace? I read something vaguely on Club VR-4 about the rocker cover gasket needing changing at the same time, is that correct?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
The rocker cover gaskets are around NZD$50which is at least 20-30 bucks ea cheaper than mitsi aus. You may not need to change them but might be better to have them if you find that yours are leaking. You can buy the spark plug seals from NZ also for around $16 ea which again is cheaper than here. The same goes again for these as you may get away with them being ok. As per the first post, if you want to just wait and see what they are like you can buy the Magna ones as they are the same and they are usaully in stock with mitsi aus.
If you need any help with getting parts just do as alot of people on here have done successfully, including me, and talk to Bill Morton at Ralliart in NZ. The prices are sooo much cheaper than that of mitsi aus and he knows our cars and knows exactly what you need when you do your major service.
admin@ralliartnz.co.nz

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
AFAIK, it is not necessary to change your seals if you found it to be clean and no leaks at all and good condition (not average condition). But if you are like me of ensuring everything is in working order and don't want to be hassled in the future, you might as well change it while you are at it. You should consider your lead as well, call ICE Leads and mentioned OZVR4, maybe Michael can give you a discounted price.

G

Unregistered
How do the ICE leads differ in quality or cost compared to the Top Gun MAX ones?

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
How do the ICE leads differ in quality or cost compared to the Top Gun MAX ones?
Quality? I can't complain, the workmanship is good.
Cost? Most of us got it for $110 for a set including shipping.

Also, the leads are made specifically to work on our cars. See here and you'll find more info.

G

Unregistered
Well I just went to Repco to get my transmission cooler and spark plugs etc and asked about the MAX leads. The guy was pretty helpful, but said he couldn't see them on their system, only the TG ones. But he pointed out the window and suggested for the VR-4 I'd be better going to the place across the road... ICE Ignition. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom