1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Hey all...
The names Cameron.
I'm 19, so ill have my full licence in Feb next year.

Currently getting around in a 1.6l KH Ford Laser with a bit of suspension work.. Ill post pics a bit later..

Few years ago I went and watched the Motorkhana in Richmond NSW and saw a Legnum- VR4OTT, in trigger mauve getting around and fell in love with the Legnum and have wanted one since then...
Ill be looking at getting one as soon as I can afford to buy one, which at this stage will be in 6 months or so...
So until then ill be hanging around picking up bits of info about the Legnum and for things to look for when I start shopping around for one...

Cheers, Cameron

1996 Mitsubishi Legnum EC5W
Black
2.5L V6 Twin Turbo
AWD with AYC
previous owner beleives it may have been chipped in Japan as well as had a short shifter installed
Engine is stock apart from the suspected chip and a Apexi turbo timer/o2 sensor/ A/F meter (doesnt even have a boost gauge or controller)
17 inch Advan Mags
Touch screen DVD player
Carbon fibre dash
Upgraded speakers - 6.5 inch Soundstream splits front and back
Ralliart muffler
Lowered springs
Heavy duty clutch

Right on 101'000kms at time of delivery
cost $11'000
(needed 100'000km service done, hence low price)
Replaced Plugs and Leads myself
Photo time!

generalboozy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Joshua
Drive
new: 98 Leggy Vr4 old: nissan 200sx, honda integra, toyota corona....now i've seen the light.
sweet deal bro! these legnums are pretty addictive.....
i may be looking to get rid of mine in 6 months time cuz at the end of 2011 i'm goin overseas probs for a year and a bit.
i'm located both on central coast and sydney (work back and forth...)
the knowledge passed around on this sites pretty awesome, these guys are pretty damn helpful....

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Welcome Cameron, you will find a decent Legnum to buy on this site - i am sure of it. Just dont rush and get the one you really love. Unlike me, i wanted a manual so i got S1 in silver ( love it so much but i wish it was series 2 for them sexy tail lights )
You can find so much info on the site, just make sure to search before you ask.

And dont forget to sponsor the site! if everyone put in $5 from time to time then we would go a long way in deloping after market parts.

Enjoy.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Welcome to the site dude.

There should be a delicious, lovely, rare Super edition Legnum up for sale by the time you're looking :)

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Cheers Fellas..

Ill probably start looking around import yards soonish to get a few test drives and make sure that its the car i want..
performance and handling wise
(engine, practicality, looks and stance already check the boxes!)

Ill probably have around the $13000 mark i think, maybe another $2000 for some nice rims(looking at TE37s in bronze as cliche as it may be- thats if i Get one in Mauve)
I'll definately be looking at a manual, but ill also test drive a semi and see how i like the 'box
so going by carsales it should get me a 98 or 99 with under 100'000kms
but i cant seem to find any with Recaro's or the leather interior within my price range, but of course there may be one when it comes down to the crunch

As for the Difference between S1 and S2 i wouldnt know the difference, but im quite a fan of the tail light style that continue right across the back, (not the chrome or painted centre garnish)

The best combo that im after would be:
less than 100'000kms
Manual
Sunroof
already lowered
Leather OR Recaros
(Pref Recaros, but i can always swap seats later)

for around the $11-14000 mark

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Welcome!
You'd definitely be able to find that list of wants if you imported rather than bought locally, and probably for within that $14k price tag too. In Australia obviously you're limited to cars that have already been imported, which is a far smaller number. Considering the time frame you've got, I would really look into importing! I did - when I started the process I didn't have enough for the whole thing but the time I spent waiting for the shipping, compliance, etc. etc. was enough to save up the rest :p Just food for thought.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
That combo at that price range seems reasonable. Just don't give in and buy the first one you drive! It's a common problem seeing how freaking awesome VR4's really are.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
03092010056.jpg
03092010058.jpg
Thanks guys... im interested in importing, but im worried about stuff like warranty, compliancing etc.. so that might wait for car number 3 when a bit more cash is on hand..

the reason ive given myself 6 months is cause im virtually starting with an empty bank balance and going from there started from last weeks payday.. im hopign to save atleast $8000 in that time, which should give me the knowledge that i can save(ive been horrible with money the first 3 years ive been working, not a cent saved) and pay off a loan for the other half of the Legnum...

Ill be doing some more research over the next few weeks into what model looks like what(bumpers/interior/taillights etc),what models have what options(sunroof, recaros) and other goodies, like the AYC, ABS and Air con(no idea if any of these are standard or options yet) and deciding on a preference(though i love all of them)

ill also be looking at stuff that i can try and factor into my price range,
ie: Sports seats if i cant get leather or Recaros
Lowering, if it hasnt been done already
full turbo back exhaust system.

And heres some pics of the current ride:
Engine: Stock 1.6L Carby, Custom hi flow filter

Exhaust:
2" Cat back

Suspension:
Kings Lows and matched Boge Shocks
22mm Rear Swaybar

Wheels:
Black TX3 rims

Modifications:
15% tint all round
EVOIII Front Bar,
Audi Running Lights,
KF Headlight and TX3 rear garnish conversion,
FPV Badging all round
Autotechnica Buckets
Custom Tow hook

Handles like a dream for what it is..
But, the Legnum will definately be a HUGE step up, both in handling and performance!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
The Evo front bar makes it look pretty similar to a V or something from the front! Not sure about the running lights though haha :)

Yeah importing was a little bit scary but if you go with a trusted broker like the ones operating on this site, they are pretty good at what they do. Good luck!

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Will a bank do a loan for under 10k these days? I'm fairly sure they just tell you to get a credit card, which is fairly irresponsible in my mind.

Either way, good luck in your search.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Yeah, as easy as it is sounding thses days to import, i dont think i'll be confident enough to do it..
and i dont want to have to wait another 3+ months ontop of the time it's gonna take me to save

As for the Loan thing, it really depends whats up for sale when i have the half i plan on saving..
If a cracking deals comes up at say $15g ill take a loan for the rest.. but if theres nothing special up for sal at the time, ill just keep saving and searching, minimising the amout ill have to load.
(Commbank has a $5000 minimum for one of their personal loans)

I've read that the MAJOR(as in, rather expensive) service on these things is due around the 100'000km mark. would it be worth looking at one thats just past here as long as its had its major service done? i'd prefer one under this amount, but if its had its Major service, it may be worth paying that little bit less, rather than more for a sub 100kms car which'll need the major service 6 months later..

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
you should be able to find one with under 70k on it, which should give you a couple years before you need major service.
Importing sounds daunting but I can almost guarantee you will get a better car for your money. Most of the low km imports are really clean and come with thousand of dollars in quality japanese parts. I wish I had imported, for the money I paid I could of had recaros, sunroof and a manual gearbox, but I have none of those things because I was impatient.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
^ This!
Also you don't need to wait until you have all the money before you begin the import process :) when I started my import, I only had enough to pay the broker's fee and the FOB cost of the car, which was all up only about $4k or something. Then when the shipping invoice came I had had enough time to save that up, and when the compliance invoice came I had had enough time to save that up! Worked out quite well. Definitely worth exploring your options before you commit to one from a dealership or from a local seller. Especially if it's from someone who isn't on these forums.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Yeah i have heard that the import process can be good, but like i said, im only young and all i want to do is drive.. and dont want anything to go wrong..
Plus, buying locally i can see the car and drive the car before i buy, but i will keep an import in mind..

got a question though that i cant seem to find the answer to.. which model has AYC?
Is it worth having?

ive read around that some models didnt have it. I thought it was standard on all of them?
How will i be able to tell if it has it?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
type-S has AYC, type-V does not. With facelift models you can tell because type-V does not have fender flares but Im not sure about pre facelift.

Check out the black legnum the Iron Chef has available at the moment, it might change your mind about the import process.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
is there anyway to tell if its type S or V, by VIN number for example?

and is the AYC really worth the little bit extra?

as for the import, like i said, ill keep it in mind and start serisouly considering it in a couple of months when ive got a bit more than $200 saved up..

(The black 2000model Iron Chef had is sold though and unfortunately it was an auto)
it was a very nice car though..

Are the importers up to scratch on what sort of things would need to be removed for compliance?
Like, on that black 2000 had TEIN adjustables, surely they wouldnt be considered 'standard; and would need to be removed?
that way i can try find one that for instance might not need as much removed, therefore saving a bit more money?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Glad to hear my car made you fall in love with Legnum's! (Although I didn't own it at the time you saw it) Welcome aboard.

And they're nice and cheap now and IMO AYC is worth it.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
After some thought, I'm going to seriously look into the Import market..

I've read the guide sticked on these forums and it doesn't sound too complex if I find a good broker..

put it this way, if I buy privately, I won't get any kind of warranty, so I shouldn't worry about it through the Import process either..

Top Bottom