Hey guys

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Correct! You'll only get a warranty from a dealership, and to be honest I would never buy a second hand car from a dealership anyway.

That stickied guide was what initially got me thinking about imports and was my first introduction to the steps you have to go through, and in my experience it was very accurate. I'm sure J-Spec or the Chef can give you a pretty good idea of how you'll go finding what you want for the price you want.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Cheers mate..
I think I'm going to try and get a S1.. But not a Super VR4, as I'd like AYC (and what I've read, the super didn't have it, however other S1's did, and S2 by the sounds of it made it an option so not all S2's have it, please correct me if im wrong here), so going for an S1 will make it easier to ensure its got AYC

If I go series 1, Ill try get a series 2 nose on it though, as I like the quad fogs, but have since my original posts decided on an S1 rear and wrapping the centre garnish piece in carbon fibre vynil..

Also been looking at Rims 17", and sofar I've got the TE37s in mind, as well as Oz Racing SuperTurismo (have been my absolute favourite style of rim forever, every car on every NFS game has had them)

Going to start making some inquiries to either Iron Chef or J-Spec once I've got a few grand saved..

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Welcome buddy, why would you want a series 1 over a series 2???? and put a S2 front end on a S1 car????

Just get a series 2!!

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Welcome buddy, why would you want a series 1 over a series 2???? and put a S2 front end on a S1 car????

Just get a series 2!!

Cheers mate..
I think I'm going to try and get a S1.. But not a Super VR4, as I'd like AYC (and what I've read, the super didn't have it, however other S1's did, and S2 by the sounds of it made it an option so not all S2's have it, please correct me if im wrong here), so going for an S1 will make it easier to ensure its got AYC

If I go series 1, Ill try get a series 2 nose on it though, as I like the quad fogs, but have since my original postsdecided on an S1 rear and wrapping the centre garnish piece in carbon fibre vinyl..

Also, a S1 will fit into my budget alot more, also allowing a little bit more money for mods..
as for the S2 front on an S1, not sure on that one yet, its all just ideas at the moment, i like the S2 front a little bit more than a 2, but i like the s1 rear over the s2, and i have no idea why..

In the end, i wouldnt really care if it was S1 or S2 as they are both just as awesome as each other, and aslong as it has AYC, Manual, Sunroof, Leather or Recaros(or cheap enough for me to replace the seats with aftermarket ones) and fits in my budget i couldnt car. i just cant wait to get my arse in one of these monsters!

Its always fun telling people when they ask what car im loking at...
conversation usually goes like this:
me: "Its a wagon"
other person: "soccer mum!"
Me: its AWD
them: heaps of cars are AWD these days..
me: powered by a V6
them: my commodore had a V6...
me: but did it have 2 turbos bolted onto it from the factory, put out 280bhp from the factory and had a 0-60 time of 6 seconds flat?
Them: *sounds of jaw hitting the floor*

Ive fallen in love with the things... and they are practical too being a wagon! (brother and best mates are all musicians, and i normally play Roadie for my mates Band when they do gigs)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I prefer S1 rear end as well. An S1 with S2 front bumper, grill and bonnet would be my ideal combination

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Also, a S1 will fit into my budget alot more, also allowing a little bit more money for mods..
as for the S2 front on an S1, not sure on that one yet, its all just ideas at the moment, i like the S2 front a little bit more than a 2, but i like the s1 rear over the s2, and i have no idea why..

Well, series 1 with leather or recaro's in manual will be rare/not doable IIRC, as i think COTY (leather) was auto only and recaro's in series 1 are only in a super which is only auto as well. So your only option will be aftermarket/second hand.
Like you I don't like the S2 rear either, in fact the only s2 bits i do like is the bulgy bonnet and then i think it only came on auto's as well haha so good luck mate!
Not a fan of the quad fogs - reminds me on a skyline too much.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Well, series 1 with leather or recaro's in manual will be rare/not doable IIRC, as i think COTY (leather) was auto only and recaro's in series 1 are only in a super which is only auto as well. So your only option will be aftermarket/second hand.
Like you I don't like the S2 rear either, in fact the only s2 bits i do like is the bulgy bonnet and then i think it only came on auto's as well haha so good luck mate!
Not a fan of the quad fogs - reminds me on a skyline too much.

My car (As posted) has a facelift front without the facelift bonnet and a COTY interior (Black leather) and I bought it with these mods already completed. My other car is a 1996 Manual with tan leather (From factory).

You are right about the Recaro's in a PFL, they don't come from factory, but they are the same mounts as all VR4's so they bolt straight in.

All combo's ARE doable, and actually probably not as hard as you would think. Would be an expesive exercise though lol.

Facelift bonnets came on ALL facelift's regardless of transmission BTW :)

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
What!! - Facelift bonnets are always bulgy?
Didn't know that.
Then do they weigh 20 kilo's more or is that a misnomer as well?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
What!! - Facelift bonnets are always bulgy?
Didn't know that.

You definately notice the extra weight if you're familiar with a PFL bonnet. The first time you lift one you're thinking WTF...

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg

Like Brad said, they are noticably heavier :)

Don't know about 20kg's, but there is a couple KG's weight difference for sure.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Hey fellas just an update,
Been looking seriously importing, cause in the end, I've got more options and it'll save me roughly 3-4grand over one already in australia.

Does anyone have a picture of the difference between the High-Vis dash and normal?

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Hmm, i looked once aqnd couldn't find one - a normal is like normal car dashes, the high vis is like smoked and when powered on it lights up. Edit - hang on site won't let me upload pfft

Normal (non high vis)
Std_Dash.jpg

HighVis
HiVisDash.jpg

High Vis - on
HiVis-On.jpg

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
ahh cheers man, i though it just lit up with brighter/different colour lighting...

the difference between the two doesnt really bother me :p
im used to the white faced dials in the laser that light up blue for speedo and red for redline and warnings hated the hideous green glow at night..
The whiteish glow on the Legnum cluster at night wouldnt bother me
i'd probably replace the globes with LED's or get some white faces made up anyway (theres a mob in Castle Hill that do custom dials for around the $60 mark)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
i'd probably replace the globes with LED's or get some white faces made up anyway (theres a mob in Castle Hill that do custom dials for around the $60 mark)

Really? Can you give any more details about this mob mate?? I'm interested!

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
I think they are called Castle Hill Custom Gauges.

I think they run it out of an Ebay shop, only have specific models but from memory you can get some custom ones made up from a sample..
Ill get some info for you if I can when I get home to the laptop later tonight.

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/castlehillgauges/

thats the fella that does the white gauges.. like i said from memory he can do custom sets with a sample to work off

Have u even brought the white gauges off him before? I did about a year ago for my gf's mirage and they are shit, the light shines through the white parts when it's not ment to(because they are so thin and low quality) and the blue numbers are really light and shit.

Well thats my opinion anyways

Top Bottom