dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I bought them from another group in Qld and they are fantastic
Just suggested this guy as he is local, so we can possibly visit him and deal with him personally rather than mailing off our gauges to Qld and being dashless for a few days..

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
Well that's your choice but when I brought them off eBay I thought they were shit and got a refund. So it's your call what ya do next just warrning you that they might be shit and not what u expected

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Cheers man!
Ill keep that in home..
I can always go back to the guy in Qld if they are dodgy..

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Hey Guys.. stil been doing some reading around here sicne i joined.

I was gonna make a new post in general, but it wouldnt let me so ill do it here

Im actually going to look at a 1996 PFL EC5w Manual tomorrow
its got just on 100'000kms (but hasnt had its 100'000km service)

Im still alittle unclear how to tell is a PFL has AYC or not?
and are there any common rust spots i should look out for or any other major issues(besides what is listed In Cyber Scribers guide)
Also, roughly how much would i be up for in the 100'00km service? dont want to buy the thing then find out its gonna cost me $3000 for a service...

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
On the dash - under the tacho is 3 vertical green bars with AYC written below
This doesn't have a AYC

This one does (very crap photo but you can JUST make out AYC under the tacho)
HiVis-On.JPG

100K service is anywhere up to $2500 (Aamir "BlackIce" got EVERYTHING done from Meek for this price)
I'd budget 1.5k to get it done to be safe, i'm sure you can get it much cheaper if you do it yourself but i think the parts alone are around 600 without fluids

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Cheers mate, so is the light on contstantly, or only when its doing its thing? (or does it flash up when the ignition is in ACC)
might take a torch and shine it on the dash see if it has the shading where the AYC light would come from if its only when its going, otherwise ill just flick on the headlights/dash lights

and thanks for the info on the service.. its still only the first Legnum ill have seen, so ill just keep that extra $1500ish in mind if i go back to this one (and while ive begun doing my own major work on the Laser, im not too keen to do much myself to start with in an unfamiliar engine bay)

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Well went and checked out this PFL this morning.. drives great and couldnt fault it on anything that was in the guide on here of common faults besides the missing tow hook cover

Will be sorting out finance and possibly getting REVS/NRMA checks done during the week.. and while its got right on 100'000kms and needs its major service, i can factor this into the asking price..

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Well I've been looking at a Legnum over the last week and yesterday obtained finance from the bank

Pending an NRMA inspection on thursday I should be taking ownership of a '96 PFL manual in black late next week!

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Nice mate - hopefully it goes well. I'd give the servicing a crack if your familiar - there's nothing rocket science about our cars, just a bit of extra time due to the pipework for the turbo's having to be removed to do much!

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Ill let the experts handle the 100'000km major service as soon as i take ownership, ill most likely go to MEEK for it (and a boost gauge/controller install if i cant work it out myself)

as i learn my way around the car ill start doing my own minor services then evenually do my own majors too

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Nice mate - hopefully it goes well. I'd give the servicing a crack if your familiar - there's nothing rocket science about our cars, just a bit of extra time due to the pipework for the turbo's having to be removed to do much!

And the need for small hands at times ;)

Cameron, welcome aboard mate. Glad to see you post around the place already!

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Just a quick update
Will be making an offer on a Black 96 PFL Leggie tomorrow morning, possibly picking it up on Sunday..
i wont be able to drive it legally until the 16th of Feb however..

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
That will be a crushing wait! Especially with it in the driveway. I'm sure you'll make it around the block a few times ha

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
its gonna be a killer...
Might drive it home and visit the girlfriend on the way, who just happens to live along Cattai Ridge Road, and requires a detour Via Galston Gorge(NSW'ers would be familiar with this, though its one of the few nice roads im yet to drive) coming from where ill pick the car up :p

Living in an Estate has its advantages.. never any police prescence... not that i'd misbehave or do anythign illgeal anyway :p

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Well My Legnum has been sitting in my driveway for just over a week now, and sofar ive changed the spark plugs and leads with NGK ones(Irridiums and Power Cables) and done all the relevant gaskets while i was there..
was quite a job coming from a 4 cylinder Laser

Its currently at MEEK having the timing belt replaced.

And I swear my Legnum is trying to Kill my Laser...

since ive had the Legnum, the Laser has had
-Massive negative camber on the front, which lead to a completely bald tyre
-another flat tyre
and to top it off
-cracked the bottom tank on the Radiator (which i discovered today)

Ill also put some pictures of my Leggie up in my first post

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
lol, So VR4s dont just look mean, they are mean!

It sure seems like it...

coincidence? i think not!

The Leggie wont be ready until tomorrow arvo from MEEK now, so ill be rollin around in my Learner brothers auto Corolla *Shudders* until i can either get the Laser's radiator fixed, or i get the Legnum back..

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Picked up the Legnum yesterday
Still has a little bit of lumpy idle intermittently, which could either be fuel filter, pump, or o2 sensor.
I'll try change the filter first, followed by sensor then lastly pump if everything else fails

The car drives really nicely now, no more groany ayc and with new plugs and leads it's a lot more responsive aswell

Top Bottom